turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo dipping on a wood stock?

Started by kytrkyhntr, March 09, 2022, 05:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

Has anyone ever had it done before? Sounds like a silly question but I don't know if I know anyone that's done it or heard how it holds up
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

bbcoach

My hunting buddy had his deceased father's wooden stock 835 done several years ago locally.  I believe it was dipped and then sealed.  It has held up really well.  I would contact your preferred provider and ask questions.  They should back their work.  By the way, he killed 2 birds with that gun last spring.  Memories!!!   

Paulmyr

I'm working on DIY hydrodip on an 1187 and a stoeger 20 right now. Be doing the original mossy oak bottomlands. Just finished sandblasting and a primer coat. Base coat is next. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a wood stock. They'll just sand it, Primer it, give it a abase coat and than dip it. I'll be using an automotive matte clear coat as finish coat for some protection against solvents. Should have everything dipped by the end of the week.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

My brother had his Berreta A 390 dipped several years ago. It has wood stock, I has held up perfectly. Looks great...

outdoorsmen

That's the browning's go to method from the factory...????

GobbleNut

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 09, 2022, 07:27:36 AM
I'm working on DIY hydrodip on an 1187 and a stoeger 20 right now. Be doing the original mossy oak bottomlands. Just finished sandblasting and a primer coat. Base coat is next. Don't see why it wouldn't work on a wood stock. They'll just sand it, Primer it, give it a abase coat and than dip it. I'll be using an automotive matte clear coat as finish coat for some protection against solvents. Should have everything dipped by the end of the week.

I will be interested in hearing how that turns out.  I have considered trying it DIY myself for several years now and haven't done it, mainly because it seems like a lot of time and effort is needed.  Not only that, but it seems like a good amount of precision is needed in how it is dipped to get it right.  I'll await a report...   :D ;D

trkehunr93

My turkey hunting mentor had a late 70's model Win. 1200 dipped locally around 06-07 and I now have the gun, wooden stock and foreend and both have held up really well. 

dublelung

I've got an old 870 youth and single barrel I had dipped in the late 90's that are still holding up well.

FullChoke

The hydrographic process has the sealed and primed wood stock in water for just a few seconds. It is immediately allowed to drip and dry. Your stock would get wetter carrying it back to the truck in a rain storm.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Mallard1897

I have a Mossberg 535 that came from the factory with a dipped wooden stock. The camo has actually held up better on the stock than the barrel and receiver over the years. Could be due in part to it doubling as my waterfowl gun for a while. Can kinda see the wear on the stock was minimal compared to receiver and magazine tube. I would assume aftermarket dipping will hold up even better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Old Gobbler

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on March 09, 2022, 05:56:47 AM
Has anyone ever had it done before? Sounds like a silly question but I don't know if I know anyone that's done it or heard how it holds up

My Remington sp10 has walnut stocks and it is factory dipped mossy oak ...alot of the first guns that came camo were like that
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Ranman

I have a Benelli Montefeltro that is wood and factory dipped, has held up well. My DIY Krylon camo Over a laminate stock on a Remington 870 has also held up well. It's all about surface prep and priming..

Swamppy

Take a look at the Henry turkey over and under. It is a wood stock that has been dipped. I would assume they wouldn't not want the warranty nightmare of a dip not holding up. This leads me to believe it would be good to go.

kytrkyhntr

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Paulmyr

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 09, 2022, 08:09:04 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on March 09, 2022, 07:27:36 AM

I will be interested in hearing how that turns out.  I have considered trying it DIY myself for several years now and haven't done it, mainly because it seems like a lot of time and effort is needed.  Not only that, but it seems like a good amount of precision is needed in how it is dipped to get it right.  I'll await a report...   :D ;D

Have a couple pieces finished. The hardest part is getting the the guns taken down and prepped. My compressor is a little under powered so there was significant wait time waiting for the compressor to cycle. Did the job, just took time.

Took a little bit to figure out how the film hydrated and responded to activator. Found the film i was using didn't expand much and exploded when hit it with the activator. I tried using the sides of tub and a dam made from the top of the tub but couldn't contain the film very well after activation.

I found after some trial and error, if I taped all the edges of them film it wouldn't crinkle up and would stay intact after activation. I'm now waiting on some more base coat.

I also figured out I need to be more gentle and manage my water temp on the rinse. Rinse water needs to be cooler than the dip water or the color fades.

Here's couple pics of some parts I have finished. Notice the rusting on the 1187 receiver and if you look close to the finished product you can see where I got a little aggressive with my forward movement while rolling the part during the dip and crinkled the film. I clear coated and sanded the fold out before applying a finished layer or 2. It's good enough for now until I can get the chance to redo it.

I'll do a write up and post it when I get everything finished.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.