turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First try at making Pot Calls

Started by Ches., March 07, 2022, 08:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ches.

I recently tried my hand out at making a few Pot calls. I bought the Pot bases already turned and just finished them off. here is what I made in order:
1. A Slate over glass with Walnut base, easy to play, but sound just OK
2. A Copper over glass with Zebra base, easier to play, better sound
3. Crystal over carbon fiber with Babinga base, very easy to play and sound much higher. Like this call the most.

My question is, If I make another Crystal call, what sounding board would give me the highest frequency and what might be the best Pot material to use.
Thanks in advance.
Ches.

mastevt

Personally, I think glass gives a higher frequency,  but that's not to say slate can't get there, given the specs inside the pot.  I like slate under Chrystal myself.  But that's me.  As for your pot, the denser the material, the more it reflects the Soundwaves back to the soundboard.   The softer the material, more of those Soundwaves get absorbed by the wood, and the less the soundboard vibrates.  Your air volume will also play in effect here.  Think of it as a musical instrument.   A tuba has more air volume inside it than a trumpet, therefore the tuba is a lower tone than the trumpet.  The same holds true in a pot call.

Ches.

So Babinga is very hard and should work. I see a lot of talk about Cherry, but it's not that hard. I didn't think about slate sounding board, I was thinking more like glass, copper or aluminum.

mastevt

Cherry makes some great sounding calls.  I don't really know where it falls on the Janka scale, but I do know, a Cherry Burl is one of the hardest materials to stabilize, due to its hardness.  Some of the best sounding calls I've made came from some old growth Cherry that I got that's over 100 years old.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mmclain

Don't get caught up in Harder denser wood is better thar theory doesn't mean a better call.  If the pot weighs too much it will prevent The surface from vibrating affecting the ease of play.  If you like loud calls go for the harder woods.   If you want a good all around hunting call that will play softly stick with lighter weight woods.  Cherry is a great place to start learning.  Do not jump around on wood types till you get some working knowledge of how to get it right

Ches.

So I decided to do a Crystal over Glass this time. Again, pot material was up in the air so I went with Cherry. Only time will tell if it's works or not. I want to try a metal (aluminum or Copper) sounding board some day, maybe for next year.
Thanks for your input.
Ches.