turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sierr@ Club causing issues in Florida ?

Started by Old Gobbler, March 07, 2022, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

Okay ....there is a issue I'm going to make you all aware of , I received a unverified report from a employee that I will not reveal that Seirr@ club is engaged in the practice of applying for quota hunts on management areas to make sure hunters don't get them ..it's a significant percentage too

Story goes the game commission (undisclosed) looked into it and researched who the people are , I've been hearing stories and rumors anti's doing this as far back as 1993

If you notice the name isn't spelled correctly that's so we are no liable for slander and defamation ..do not use Thier whole name they like to sue in court as a weapon

Let me know if any of your states have heard of any type of activity
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

FLGobstopper

I've heard the same but not necessarily from a specific organization. However, none of that surprises me.

squidd

I can attest to a lot of no shows for various quota hunts in FL.

Having standby permits available would help negate the manipulation of the quota system.

It wouldn't be perfect, but would provide a few more opportunities to the locals within an hour or so of the WMA.

It worked for duck hunting, but still lots of opportunities lost with Standby hunters not showing as well.

roberthyman14

I wouodnt doubt it. One of our wma only give 10 turkey quotas for each of 3 phases.    You will be lucky to get a quota and might only see 2 other people the entire time

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Bowguy

Sierr@  club sucks. They're trying to screw a big piece of our hunt areas. They've salso been instrumental in closing our bear hunt

Bowguy

Ol timer

It may not be a rumor they are applying for quota permits in Fla. There was the same consensus that they purchased our Bear tags in NJ with a cost of only $2.00 a tag. Now there after our federal and state land. I would get all your sportsman agency's in Florida involved before it's to late.

GobbleNut

I don't know if the S. Club or any other such organization might be doing this, but I suspect there are some that are and this will probably get worse over time UNLESS there are measures put in place by game and fish agencies to prevent it.  Such measures can be implemented, but it takes a willingness for those agencies to step up and make the effort.  We'll see if they do...

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Quote from: squidd on March 07, 2022, 09:19:05 PM
I can attest to a lot of no shows for various quota hunts in FL.

Same for SC. My last turkey draw hunt, I was the only hunter to show up the morning of the hunt.

Sir-diealot

We have had problems here with people filling up hunters training courses to be sure others that really want to get the training can't, so this would not surprise me at all.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

FLGobstopper

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 08, 2022, 07:45:09 AM
I don't know if the S. Club or any other such organization might be doing this, but I suspect there are some that are and this will probably get worse over time UNLESS there are measures put in place by game and fish agencies to prevent it.  Such measures can be implemented, but it takes a willingness for those agencies to step up and make the effort.  We'll see if they do...

Supposedly, ours here in FL are working on some changes. Not sure if it's in response to these types of issues or not, but I would believe from past experience it's highly unlikely. I think I remember reading that you have a background in wildlife management or something to that degree? I at least have read previous posts where it seems like if it wasn't vocationally you've been around it enough to have a pretty good understanding and it seems you are knowledgeable in the area.

So, since we're having some dialogue... Do you have any suggestions for such a measure? Also thoughts on ways to sway them towards willingness to make such necessary changes?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: FLGobstopper on March 08, 2022, 08:33:28 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 08, 2022, 07:45:09 AM

Supposedly, ours here in FL are working on some changes. Not sure if it's in response to these types of issues or not, but I would believe from past experience it's highly unlikely. I think I remember reading that you have a background in wildlife management or something to that degree? I at least have read previous posts where it seems like if it wasn't vocationally you've been around it enough to have a pretty good understanding and it seems you are knowledgeable in the area.

So, since we're having some dialogue... Do you have any suggestions for such a measure? Also thoughts on ways to sway them towards willingness to make such necessary changes?
They were able to find some here by repeated phone numbers or repeated email addresses.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ross R

its for sure happening in FL.  There's one wma that we keep eyeballing who applies for it.  Its the same handfull of people.  There is an 89 year old man applying for the hunt.  No chance these people are going on these hunts.  They return the permit at the last minute so they keep the points.  They have it so that it takes up to 12 pts to get the hunt. 

slave601

Quote from: Old Gobbler on March 07, 2022, 08:47:18 PM
Okay ....there is a issue I'm going to make you all aware of , I received a unverified report from a employee that I will not reveal that Seirr@ club is engaged in the practice of applying for quota hunts on management areas to make sure hunters don't get them ..it's a significant percentage too

Story goes the game commission (undisclosed) looked into it and researched who the people are , I've been hearing stories and rumors anti's doing this as far back as 1993

If you notice the name isn't spelled correctly that's so we are no liable for slander and defamation ..do not use Thier whole name they like to sue in court as a weapon

Let me know if any of your states have heard of any type of activity
So what's their point in doing this? Like what are the benefits to the sc for putting in all the draws. Sorry if that's a dumb question. Interesting topic!
"thinnin the flock"

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Ross R on March 08, 2022, 11:49:06 AM
its for sure happening in FL.  There's one wma that we keep eyeballing who applies for it.  Its the same handfull of people.  There is an 89 year old man applying for the hunt.  No chance these people are going on these hunts.  They return the permit at the last minute so they keep the points.  They have it so that it takes up to 12 pts to get the hunt.
here is a run down of what was going on about 20 years ago ..and what is going on with "gaming the permit system" a totally different issue than anti's hoarding them

You used to be able to buy a management stamp and apply ..if you got a permit they were TRANSFERABLE ...what hunters were doing was spending $2,000 to 3,000 in management stamps and having every family member in Thier extended family apply and get permits ...this went on untill there was a public outcry and the state took away the transferability

Next ...the state allowed you to bring a buddy a hunting buddy and share the permit but only one of you could kill the deer or in this case a turkey ....it took a few years for the same people to build up (preference points ) and we are right back to nearly the same point we were 15 years ago...but when your family member wins the permit ..they MUST ACCOMPANY you on the hunt

If your grandmother , aunt , cousin whatever gets a permit ...they can turn it back in and KEEP THE PREFERENCE points ...one area I know takes 8 years to get a permit , the reason why people keep flipping the permits ..how do I know because people are winning them ,(8 years of points) and turning them back in )because they have several family members with that amount of points ...and they go for a redraw in the pot and your odds are like 1 in a 1000 of getting that

1)I'm proposing that you are not allowed to bring hunting buddies in a permit like it used to be 15 years ago ..they closed the gate on one problem and opened another

2) I'm proposing that if you turn them back in you loose half your points ..or can only do it one time the next time you do it you aquire negative points

Florida only kills 700 gobblers statewide on Thier type 1 wmas and this bd has got to stop

I
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon