OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Buying used trumpets

Started by strum, March 07, 2022, 10:57:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Just curios what you guys thoughts are buying used trumpets in terms of sanitation?  I have  little concern about sticking a used tube in my mouth . Alcohol maybe ?

wchadw

Quote from: strum on March 07, 2022, 10:57:21 AM
Just curios what you guys thoughts are buying used trumpets in terms of sanitation?  I have  little concern about sticking a used tube in my mouth . Alcohol maybe ?
I usually get a pipe cleaner and dip in rubbing alcohol and run it thru. Take lip stop off and wipe it down once

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upfold99

Yes. Alcohol with small brush. Similar to pipe cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Other than a diaphragm, no call is really ever "new" when you get it. Most call makers typically run their calls before sending them out.

Do to the nature of running a trumpet, any inner moisture is just that, moisture pulled from the air, it's not the user's spit; at least it shouldn't be. The exterior of the mouthpiece wiped with an alcohol wipe would disinfect the exterior of the mouthpiece from the previous user.

ChesterCopperpot

Most viruses survive one to seven days on hard surfaces and are no longer infectious pretty early in that process. That to say, from a real health perspective I don't think you're ever going to be in trouble whether you clean it or not.

strum

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 07, 2022, 11:09:50 AM
Most viruses survive one to seven days on hard surfaces and are no longer infectious pretty early in that process. That to say, from a real health perspective I don't think you're ever going to be in trouble whether you clean it or not.

Im not a germ scared kind of guy but it does feel weird sticking something in my mouth thats been in someone else's kisser. sounds like cleaning lightly with a little alcohol is the answer thanks guys.

paboxcall

Quote from: wchadw on March 07, 2022, 11:00:24 AM
I usually get a pipe cleaner and dip in rubbing alcohol and run it thru. Take lip stop off and wipe it down once

What I do for any used trumpet I get. And same routine periodically for own before they get put away.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Greg Massey

Quote from: paboxcall on March 07, 2022, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: wchadw on March 07, 2022, 11:00:24 AM

What I do for any used trumpet I get. And same routine periodically for own before they get put away.
X3

ol bob

I would say there has never been a trumpet sold that hasn't been played. Alcohol will kill anything including you if you over do it.

randywallace

Quote from: ol bob on March 07, 2022, 12:02:32 PM
I would say there has never been a trumpet sold that hasn't been played.

I don't know about that.  From the sounds of some out there, they either weren't played or the person playing it was tone deaf  :TooFunny:

Bedge7767

I don't think one thing about it. As soon as I get one I run it.
Jim

callmakerman

Quote from: Bedge7767 on March 07, 2022, 01:09:57 PM
I'm sure those old horns you just picked up haven't seen any lip service in years. I believe your safe. LOL

strum

Quote from: Bedge7767 on March 07, 2022, 01:09:57 PM

what you dont know wont hurt you lol.   Ive seen some pretty rank looking dudes running em .    Is that grit Copenhagen or coffee grinds hmm   :funnyturkey:

Spitten and drummen

Copenhagen helps with rasp on a trumpet. :funnyturkey:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE