Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

With Rising Gas Prices- Will Public Be A Frenzy Early On??

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2022, 02:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

I won't enjoy my time at the pumps but I won't cut states and trips

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

Here's my take.  Serious turkey hunters are going to continue going hunting.  Casual turkey hunters probably won't.  If gas prices stay like they are, or get higher, I suspect we will see fewer hunters in the woods this spring.  People will gravitate towards their priorities when money gets to be an issue.  The conditions we are facing this spring with gas costs and other inflation should have the impact of reducing pressure.  It may not keep us serious guys out of the woods, but I think it will keep some of the less-serious types at home or doing other things.  We'll see...

Mossyguy

Quote from: Howie g on March 07, 2022, 09:12:04 AM
It may curb some of the road riders in general .  But probably not much change .
The road runners where out this past weekend already !

They're getting ready for the "youth" season next week!

Yoteduster

I'll still be doing my four state trip I'll just cut back on some of the other summer activities

TurkeyReaper69

I have waited for March 15th everyday since the last week of May when my hunting season ended in the Spring of '21. Unless gas hits $10 a gallon my plans will go unchanged, and if that's the case, it'll be only slightly.

dzsmith

Gas prices won't change anything .... If you are taking off time to hunt , and in many cases for many people long periods of time if not entire seasons, you aren't poor enough for this to be an issue . While the nation is headed toward the dire straights with inflation and many factors involving money .... It's just not to that point yet. It will have to get a whole lot worse before have to choose .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

Quote from: dzsmith on March 07, 2022, 10:08:28 PM
Gas prices won't change anything .... If you are taking off time to hunt , and in many cases for many people long periods of time if not entire seasons, you aren't poor enough for this to be an issue . While the nation is headed toward the dire straights with inflation and many factors involving money .... It's just not to that point yet. It will have to get a whole lot worse before folks have to choose .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

NCL

Just heard on the morning news that crude is at $130.00 per barrel and the experts are called for gas to rise another 50 cents per gallon. Here the prices are rising at an unbelievable rate, went to dinner the other day and  the next morning the price was up 10 cents per gallon. I usually hunt within about a 20 mile radius around my home so no real effect for me.

tbowers

Decent chance fuel could be pushing $5 by early May when many travel for birds. Like others have said, even with that being a huge increase it equates to a couple hundred additional bucks over $2 gas if you are doing a 1k mile trip. I get that $200 bucks is nothing to sneeze at, but if you really want to go you can find ways to 'save' that $200 elsewhere.

Now if gas hits $10 bucks a gal, things might change!

Tail Feathers

I would expect to see fewer hunters out in the late season.  Folks will get tired of those expensive fill ups after the first week or two.  No doubt some travel plans will be cancelled. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sasquatch1

Quote from: NCL on March 08, 2022, 10:00:31 AM
Just heard on the morning news that crude is at $130.00 per barrel and the experts are called for gas to rise another 50 cents per gallon. Here the prices are rising at an unbelievable rate, went to dinner the other day and  the next morning the price was up 10 cents per gallon. I usually hunt within about a 20 mile radius around my home so no real effect for me.
I live in one of the cheapest areas for fuel. The last spike years back we never crossed $4

Today, we at 4:19. It took a .40ct jump since yesterday when it was 3.79

Every-time stations fill up the price is a lot higher.

Covid took out a lot of refining capacity and oil pumping capacity while demand stayed the same and even higher. Add a war (huge fuel consumer) on top of that and we in the perfect environment to see record prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mossberg90MN

I would argue most die hard turkeys hunters will not let gas be a stopping issue for them.

I know I won't. Save for it, or just put that stuff on credit and let it rip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampmonkey

$15 for a good mouth call, $100-150 for a slate, $120 for a box, $60 for a box of 5 shells. Close to $300 for most out of state tags here in the Deep South....We enjoyed cheap gas for a few seasons in a row now its just catching up with everything else. People will continue to hunt. People will continue to travel. The only difference we'll hopefully notice are the woods being less crowded during the week with people finally going back to work after being off for the last 2 seasons....

aclawrence

I don't know what y'all dudes are talking about saying it won't effect anything. It's definitely going to effect me. I get to go a lot because of my flexibility at work but if I don't come up with some extra gas money I won't be able to go near as much as last year. We are on a tight budget and don't have much wiggle room for extra expenses. Last year it cost me about $11 a trip which I helped to pay for buy selling call lanyards. I don't know what it will end up costing this year but I'm going to have to get creative with some income.  For the locals that live close by it won't have much of a effect but I have to drive about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: aclawrence on March 08, 2022, 06:24:45 PM
I don't know what y'all dudes are talking about saying it won't effect anything. It's definitely going to effect me. I get to go a lot because of my flexibility at work but if I don't come up with some extra gas money I won't be able to go near as much as last year. We are on a tight budget and don't have much wiggle room for extra expenses. Last year it cost me about $11 a trip which I helped to pay for buy selling call lanyards. I don't know what it will end up costing this year but I'm going to have to get creative with some income.  For the locals that live close by it won't have much of a effect but I have to drive about an hour.

I am sure there are a lot of people that the high gas prices will put a significant dent in their budgets for hunting trips and everything else.  Not discounting that concern at all.  It definitely impacts some folks more than others in terms of being able to participate in this outdoor lifestyle we all love.  I hope everybody that cherishes turkey hunting will find a way to get to hunt this spring.   :icon_thumright: