Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

With Rising Gas Prices- Will Public Be A Frenzy Early On??

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2022, 02:17:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I filled up 3 days back on March 4th. $3.99 a Gallon at lowest 87 octane at the Cumberland  Farms up here in New York State. Yesterday on the 6th,I see the Pumps at Cumberland  are up to $4.12 a Gallon at Lowest octane.
    I start my season on April 25th in New Jersey + May 1st in New York. It is possible Gas Prices will be approaching $5.00 a Gallon by Late April.- Just my Guess. I am already starting to see some- " Pump Rage" because of Putin's  War.
    With the above in mind- Do you think that Turkey Hunters headed to Public Lands will have a more aggressive  approach to making sure they Limit out in their State just as fast as possible to avoid driving out 15+ miles for 12 mornings in a row to Bag 2 Gobblers on Public.
   Will alot really push the Limits to take those 2 Tom's in 2-3 or 4 days because the Wife has mentioned that " our Gas Budget needs to be watched closer". And then there is State #2 and a Longer one way Drive to Bag 2 Gobblers in that State.
    With the above in mind- Do you think that some Hunters will throw in the Towel early in the Season to save on Gas or do you think that Hunters will up their game and be much more aggressive  then they normally would ?
     I personally  think that it will be the latter.Only Time will tell. Ukrainians  are putting up a fierce fight as everyone  knows. This could drag on for Months. Meanwhile Gas + Food Prices skyrocket. Now Putin wants to withdraw from the worldwide internet by March 15th to avoid cyber attacks- so he says.
   Whatever happens- stay safe and enjoy your time afield.

fallhnt

Act your wage.
Turn off the news.
Good advice for most.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Neill_Prater

It's easy to say that gas prices won't change what we, as hunters do, but it will.

Saw my grandson over the weekend. He and his two buddies have scrapped their plans for a Nebraska hunt and are heading to Oklahoma instead, largely because of fuel prices.

I don't know about the aggressiveness of the hunting itself, but I have little doubt that most will hunt as close to home as possible.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

I don't think rising gas prices will change how people hunt. The rules here are the same no matter what you pay at the pump.

drake799

Won't change a thing. People will gripe more about it but they'll
Still hunt.

Howie g

It may curb some of the road riders in general .  But probably not much change .
The road runners where out this past weekend already !

PalmettoRon

Gonna be more thieves siphoning gas. Remote areas with vehicles left unattended for hours will be a target.

Master Gobbie

Quote from: PalmettoRon on March 07, 2022, 09:27:48 AM
Gonna be more thieves siphoning gas. Remote areas with vehicles left unattended for hours will be a target.

Heck why not get a few gallons of gas while ripping out your cat converter too?
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Sixes

I have no idea on how it will affect the way people hunt, but with all the cash that seems to be in everyone's pocket (except mine), driving and gas prices will be of little concern.

I live within a few miles of a big lake and I saw boat after boat headed to the lake this weekend and gas is bumping 4 a gallon.

Just look at the turkey call market, prices are high and continuing to climb.

TrackeySauresRex

It's definitely not good for me for the turkey season, this is when I do the most driving. It will be rough on the pocket but I won't slow down. I definitely won't be driving my pick up and the wifeY is gonna be piZzzzzed with scattered turkey brains in her car.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

dublelung

It's not changing our plans. Wife and I are still planning our out of state trip but we generally only hunt one other state than our home state.

Cowboy

Turkey huntin will go on. Short window to hunt each year.  Ppl will save where they can and gripe afterwards. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

silvestris

As for me, for the most part,I am quitting.  As far as upping the  aggression in hunting, that is not going to affect the hunting positively; remember turkeys operate on turkey time and they don't care high the gas prices go.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkey_slayer

It won't. Do the math. 1000 miles for a trip averaging 15mpg will cost $266 for a trip at $4. $133 at $2. If $133 is the deciding factor you can't afford to go anyway. When you take into account you don't go on the trip but instead hunt around home then unless you're walking out your back door then you're trip cost drops even more cause you're using gas at home that could have been used on the trip. Don't get me wrong, it freaking sucks. I drive around 30,000 miles a year so it's going to hit me hard in the long run

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tom007

This may be the new norm, so good advice will be plan to on this new expense.....