turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Planting by Moon sign

Started by barry, June 07, 2011, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

My Grandfather was a firm believer in planting garden/crops on the right sign of the moon to get optimum growth and yield. For the past few years we've been planting tomatoes according to the farmers almanac which goes by by moon sign and we've had great success with tomatoes.
Coincidence? Maybe.
But...

The following photo has 2 tomato plants of the same variety, out the same batch, planted in tubs with the same type of soil...a controlled evironment. The one on the left was planted on a day NOT reccomended by the almanac, one on the right planted on a day MOST favorable for planting tomato plants.

I know this doesn't confirm anything but it does make you think.

We're gonna try another test with sign planting, this time with both plants in same tub, one planted on bad sign one planted on good sign.

harvester

Was they planted by the seed or did you buy them? My opinion on settin out tomatoes that you buy really doesn't matter what the signs are because you are basically transplanting them. Not actually putting the seeds in the ground. I plant everything by the signs except plants that I buy simply because you don't know when they planted them to begin with. JMO.

barry

Quote from: harvester on June 07, 2011, 03:04:15 PM
Was they planted by the seed or did you buy them? My opinion on settin out tomatoes that you buy really doesn't matter what the signs are because you are basically transplanting them. Not actually putting the seeds in the ground. I plant everything by the signs except plants that I buy simply because you don't know when they planted them to begin with. JMO.

These are from seed that I started indoors. We went by the best sign to transplant on the larger one.