turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Year after burn

Started by ClayR089, February 27, 2022, 10:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClayR089

I'm still young in my turkey hunting days. I've learned to target freshly burned ground, pretty quickly. What about that same ground, a year later? I'm assuming a lot of this depends on the surrounding property and how it has been managed. Am I right to assume that all things remaining the same, the turkeys are more likely to stay in that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

I don't know for turkeys but definatly keep an eye out for for morel mushrooms
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Dtrkyman

Burned areas are generally good for years after.   It will go from good feeding habitat to nesting brooding habitat in some areas after a few years.

ChesterCopperpot

Depends on how good the burn was and what comprised the understory. I've seen places go right back to thick by fall after having been burned. So it really just depends on how hot the burn was and what the woods were like before. But, yes, they absolutely love walking the ash. I love to hunt a place that's still smoking.

Spurs

Quote from: ClayR089 on February 27, 2022, 10:44:48 AM
I'm still young in my turkey hunting days. I've learned to target freshly burned ground, pretty quickly. What about that same ground, a year later? I'm assuming a lot of this depends on the surrounding property and how it has been managed. Am I right to assume that all things remaining the same, the turkeys are more likely to stay in that area?

All depends, but generally speaking, an area that is burned in pine plantations is typically 'good' for 2 springs before it begins to really thicken up. 

I personally avoid burns like the plague in large public areas, because they are also a hot spot for hunters.

Just my .02...there are no absolutes though.
This year is going to suck!!!

g8rvet

Know before you go!  Just check on it preseason and see how well it burnt and how thick it is.  year two can be pushing it in some areas, but still a good spot in others. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Lucky Goose

It's site and productivity specific but in general 1-3 year old burns areas are nesting and brooding habitat.  Turkey's will use it.

HillclimberWV

I ran into a burn area on national forest last weekend. The burn was done last april according to the website and that ridge was dead. Now greenup had not really kicked in the area i was so i cant say what it would be like even two weeks from now but there wasn't even song birds or woodpeckers. It was an unsuccessful trip but i found turkeys and sign on adjacent ridges next to the burn that were untouched. This is probably anecdotal and birds werent gobbling well anywhere i went. Its the only time I've ever hunted around a burn.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr