OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Headlamps

Started by ClayR089, February 26, 2022, 03:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

If I use a light while going in, I use the glow from the screen on my phone set on a lower brightness setting. Just a little shine here and there to verify footing.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gobble!

Never carry one. If I get myself in a sketchy situation I just the light form my phones home screen at most.

born2hunt

The terrain pretty much dictates the need for myself. If your walking in a mile, in most country at least 3/4 of that mile doesn't really matter to much as long as your not shinning all over the place. Now that last 1/4 its moon light only !

A lot has to do with how much time you have too. Covering ground in the dark takes a little longer.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

paboxcall

I fall enough in the daylight. Carry a small red light cupped in my hand that runs a long time using just one AAA battery. That helps keep me upright. Mostly.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

OJR

I use a green LED one if I'm by myself. But if I'm with a buddy, I follow him at a short distance so I can check up if he trips and falls...

:funnyturkey:

Treerooster

Quote from: born2hunt on February 27, 2022, 10:38:24 PM
The terrain pretty much dictates the need for myself. If your walking in a mile, in most country at least 3/4 of that mile doesn't really matter to much as long as your not shinning all over the place. Now that last 1/4 its moon light only !

A lot has to do with how much time you have too. Covering ground in the dark takes a little longer.

This, except for the moon part. It ain't there about half the time. Depending on where I am at I usually have a headlamp with me and always have a little green pen light. Pen light is for when I get close. At times I've been a mile from the truck and headed away from it trying to roost a bird at 20 minutes after sunset. I have also been out in complete darkness where there is no moon, no stars (clouds), and no city lights. Can't see you hand in front of your face in those situations.

cpreeves

I don't carry a headlamp but I do always carry a little light from Streamlight that is the size of a pen in my vest. I try to only use it when necessary

RutnNStrutn

Most of the time I don't need to use a flashlight. But if it's a moonless night, or difficult terrain, I use a red light that is just bright enough for me to make sure I don't trip and fall. As a back up light, I use a green Stylus pen light, but I rarely have to use it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

These are great, just a single LED.. way bright enough to be able to see where you are walking. Hold it in your hand down low when walking ...  https://www.ebay.com/itm/154672134024?hash=item24032d7788:g:n2QAAOSwJothaH6I

Bowguy

:smiley-char092:
Quote from: ClayR089 on February 26, 2022, 03:45:22 PM
I watch YouTube and guys are walking in with headlamps on. I know they are obviously turning them off as they near their spot. But I've always been one to be nervous to have headlamp on at any time. I try to know my spots well enough to get in with out and going slow enough in. What is y'all's headlamp theory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, no lights

Notsoyoungturk

I always have one for emergencies.  Use either the green or red light to preserve my night vision.  Don't turn it on at all unless the situation forces me.  Bought one made by Energizer at Academy that has a switch that toggles between red and green and another switch for different intensities of white light.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear