OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Difference in performance for #5 vs #6

Started by Gobblechicken4, February 26, 2022, 11:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblechicken4

I understand and that every gun and choke combo is different and would test accordingly but I'm curious- In general what performance characteristics would differ in #5 shot and #6 shot specifically in longbeard xr.

I like the idea of more pellets but am I likely to see a loss in terminal performance or pattern holding together at the outside edge of shooting distance? Any other typical differences?

I'm waiting to find some 6s. I've shot 5s for years so just curious in the meantime.

Also this is out of 12 gauge 835 with IC and/or carlsons lbxr chokes.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Gobblechicken4 on February 26, 2022, 11:30:45 AM
I understand and that every gun and choke combo is different and would test accordingly but I'm curious- In general what performance characteristics would differ in #5 shot and #6 shot specifically in longbeard xr.

I like the idea of more pellets but am I likely to see a loss in terminal performance or pattern holding together at the outside edge of shooting distance? Any other typical differences?

I'm waiting to find some 6s. I've shot 5s for years so just curious in the meantime.

Also this is out of 12 gauge 835 with IC and/or carlsons lbxr chokes.
For me when I patterned my 835 with LBXR #5 and #6 in 3" and 3.5" with an Indian Creek choke the 3" #5s ended up patterning the best for me. 

Definitely shoot both loads and chokes and see what looks best to you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lowoctane

:morning:
I can't speak to your terminal energy question in actual facts, so I suggest contacting Winchester for those answers. I can, however, address patterns and how I favored 6's over 5's out of my guns. I think we all have definite preferences as to how our patterns look so for me I'm looking for solid coverage with minimal holes at certain yardages and for the chokes I own 6's produce the most satisfying results. However, 5's are a very close second and given the current ammo supply issues and that most of my LB in 6's are all but depleted, it appears that I'll be looking at the LB 5's to do the deed for me this season.
With that said, in the past I have spent untold $'s and time patterning different chokes and loads until I finally was satisfied with certain choke/load combinations. I'm guessing that me being so anal drives my bride crazy sometimes but I reassure her by saying I give all things a thorough litmus test... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

BandedSpur

With regards to terminal performance, 5s have turkey killing penetration 23% further than 6s, provided your pattern density is still there, i.e. 100/10" circle. I won't give yardages since it is further with both than the admin on this site likes people to discuss.

ChesterCopperpot

Before I gave up on the LBs I always shot 4s or 5s in my 12ga Benelli Supernova and 6s out of my 20. The 4s actually tended to pattern a fuzz better than the 5s and were an absolute hammer on game. The 5s patterned better than the 6s in my 12ga. They're cheap enough (if you can find them ) to pattern all sizes and see what your set up prefers. All will kill birds dead as a mackerel at the ranges we need to hunt turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meleagris gallopavo

Both patterned pretty good for me in my 835 with an IC .675.  I'd lean towards the 6s myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

gergg

I patterned loads in my 835 with a Comp-N-Choke early on, 3 1/2" (Even before LB's were a thing) #4's were the best and have worked great. Frankly, I refuse to pattern that gun again, it hurts....lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Bowguy

If your intention is to shoot within reasonable ranges I can't quite give you exact specs as to performance but they're both gonna give you birds just as dead with no drama. It's irrelevant.

DMTJAGER

Quote from: BandedSpur on February 27, 2022, 07:22:33 AM
With regards to terminal performance, 5s have turkey killing penetration 23% further than 6s, provided your pattern density is still there, i.e. 100/10" circle. I won't give yardages since it is further with both than the admin on this site likes people to discuss.

Greatest of thanks as I have LONG wondered just how much better #5 lead was than #6, as #5 shot has been my go to for at least the last 15 turkey seasons.