turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Southern Nebraska

Started by Jhudson7344, February 23, 2022, 12:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhudson7344

Anybody hunted in southern Nebraska as opposed to northwest. Thinking about starting around strunk lake and going from there and hopefully into Kansas is help Is greatly appreciated

fallhnt

I have hunted that area. Lots of birds. Pubic is just small tracts in NE. 2 bird limit in that part of KS if you go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

husker

No birds in NE. I'd stick to KS

AndyN

Pressure in that area, as well as just across the border in KS increased exponentially last year. Numbers in both areas are way down compared to 4+ years ago. The "go further west to get away from people" isn't a thing anymore.

huntineveryday

As already mentioned, outside of the land around the lakes in that area, public land is small parcels of mainly upland habitat. There are CRP and Open Field tracts of land that could have birds, but most of the CRP acres got hayed last fall because of the drought conditions, so keep that in mind. Bird numbers are down compared to what they were 10 years ago. There are still plenty of turkeys around, but most will be on private ground and numbers are down. Keep that in mind when planning your trip.

Dtrkyman

Been a while since I was down that way, there are vast areas void on any turkeys, and small areas with concentrated populations of birds.

Be prepared to do some driving to find birds!  And it doesn't take much to hold a bunch of birds, a few cottonwoods near a pond in the middle of nowhere may have a pile of birds!

Delmar ODonnell

That area receives an extreme amount of pressure on relatively small tracts of public lands. It's possible to kill one, but having been there twice, I have no desire to go back. Small acreage, lots of hunters, and visibility of 50+% of the WMA from a road is not ideal.