turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dots with stigmatism

Started by DirtNap647, February 20, 2022, 01:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtNap647

I have used burris fastfire for years and make it work. But I have a stigmatism in my eye so I don't see a round dot. I got contacts for my stigmatism. Question is I still see  very blurred dot that's not round and almost 3 edges. Can't tell if it's my dot or my eyes. Had my wife look through it she described same. Do you guys see this with your fastfires? Is there a better red dot option?

Greg Massey

I see kind of what your seeing , i got one of the Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle dot and i just got one of those deals on the Burris FF3 and the green circle dot is a lot better for this kind of problem for myself.  As most will tell you lower power on your dot it doesn't star burst as much.. I think it's just something we will have to live with or put a scope on your gun... I have some turkey guns setup with scopes and of course i have not problems with those ..  I can hand these guns to a friend of mine and he see's the regular dot's etc..

rakkin6

Yeah the key is lowest setting possible, I try to only put my FF3 on the second setting if possible.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sixes

I have the same issue and recently switched out my FF3 with a Holosun green dot that you can change to a circle. I have not hunted with it yet, but shot it enough to know that aiming with the circle took out a lot of the blur. The green circle  encircled the 3inch target and took away the blur and I could more focus on the target than the dot. If I can get a turkey close enough to put the circle on his head, he is going to have a real bad day.

Here is a link to the reticles.  I shot them all and like the circle the best

https://veritastactical.com/holosun-hs510c-green-dot-optic/

DirtNap647

anybody without a stigmatism noticing this?

mcw3734

I have a slight stigmatism and so my Vortex Venom 3 moa dot does not appear a crisp round.

To answer the question anybody has of "Is it me or the dot itself?", use your phone to take a picture looking through the sight (got to hold it steady). Then look at the picture. If that looks nicely round, like mine does, then what differences you're seeing are a function of your own eyes.

Greg Massey

Quote from: mcw3734 on February 20, 2022, 05:10:05 PM
I have a slight stigmatism and so my Vortex Venom 3 moa dot does not appear a crisp round.

To answer the question anybody has of "Is it me or the dot itself?", use your phone to take a picture looking through the sight (got to hold it steady). Then look at the picture. If that looks nicely round, like mine does, then what differences you're seeing are a function of your own eyes.
Agree i did this with my iphone and the dot was perfect .. on the Sampfox and Burris

Tail Feathers

I just use the center of the starburst and go for it.  LOL
Keeping down on a lower setting helps too. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

DirtNap647

hillbillyfab

Another way to tell if it's the optic or your eyes, is to rotate the optic. If the little starbursts or flares stay in the same spot, it's your eye or eyes. If they turn along with the rotation of the optic, it's the optic. I too purchased a swampfox optic with the green circle and dot in the middle. I don't see the flares nothing like I do with the red versions.

DirtNap647

A leupold firedot scope I do not notice any issues perfect dot

Gentry

Another vote for the king slayer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

My gun is drilled and tapped for only the 336 mount does the holoson and kingslayer use the same footprint as the fastfires

Turkeyman

I use Tasco red dots..bow and turkey guns...and had the same problem. Some sort of misshapen dot. Burris FF3 was the same. I was able to determine just which part of the "dot" was "real" and shot accordingly.

Then I had cataract surgery...all dots are now nice and round.

P.S. My new lenses also correct what astigmatism I had.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Tail Feathers on February 20, 2022, 06:01:52 PM
I just use the center of the starburst and go for it.  LOL
Keeping down on a lower setting helps too.

^^^same here.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr