OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hals Big 20CH

Started by Otdrzman, February 19, 2022, 08:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otdrzman

I am new to hand loading and finally was able to get all of the components to load this round. Are any of you folks loading it as well? If so, what length are you trimming the Cheddite hulls to? I will be shooting them out of a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge and just want to be sure that they cycle. Thanks

Dtrkyman

I still load his big 20xlc.  I would contact Hal directly. 

Always very helpful.

bigbird

Can you measure a factory hull that's been fired? It'd get you close I'd say

Roost 1

Quote from: Otdrzman on February 19, 2022, 08:57:23 AM
I am new to hand loading and finally was able to get all of the components to load this round. Are any of you folks loading it as well? If so, what length are you trimming the Cheddite hulls to? I will be shooting them out of a Franchi Affinity 20 gauge and just want to be sure that they cycle. Thanks

What are the differences between this and big 20XL??
If your loaded shell is 2 5/8" you wont have any cycling issues in any 3" gun.

Otdrzman

Thanks fellas. I'll reach out to Hal

Dtrkyman

The 2 loads use completely different components, The issue is the length of the un fired hull, it will hang up in certain guns, particularly Benelli, has nothing to do with payloads or powder charge, they are simply too long for the receiver in some cases.

Full length actually cycled in my gun but a 1/8" ish trim gives me much cleaner crimps.

Roost 1

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 21, 2022, 09:59:46 AM
The 2 loads use completely different components, The issue is the length of the un fired hull, it will hang up in certain guns, particularly Benelli, has nothing to do with payloads or powder charge, they are simply too long for the receiver in some cases.

Full length actually cycled in my gun but a 1/4" ish trim gives me much cleaner crimps.

1/4" trim..... sounds like you should use a 2 3/4" hull. Just a suggestion.

Dtrkyman

Roost, good catch I trim closer to an 1/8.   I will edit that if I can.  It is Hal's load data so I am sure it will not work in a 2 3/4.