turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lightweight specific Turkey hunting clothing

Started by Tca126, February 19, 2022, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tca126

What's everyone's clothing choices for chasing these birds? I hunt mostly PA and OH where temps can range from the 20's all the way into the 70's in the late morning later in the season. The pants I see in the Pinhoti videos look interesting.

El Pavo Grande

I like Mossy Oak's Tibbee shirts and pants.  100% Polyester.  Lightweight and can layer underneath. 

aclawrence

The pants Dave is wearing are Ol' Tom's. I think they have a built in knee pads which is why I don't wear them. Those pants never fit me right since I have short legs. I bought some Nomad Stretch lite pants last year and really liked them a lot. Ive got all different kinds of shirts and a North Mountain Gear leafy jacket. If it's in the 20's I'm wearing a black down puffy underneath the leafy jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

For warmer pants I wear OD green Prana stretch Zion pant, better than any hunting pant I own.

Colder weather I still have some really old Mossy Oak pants.

A zip off base layer is awesome for those days with big temp swings.  KUIU are what I have.

deerhunt1988

I've tried a ton of pants, and Kuiu are by far my favorite. But they run a big snug so if you got meaty thighs, better size up. I use the Attacks for low temps up until the ~60s. Once it hits 60, I switch to the Kutanas. Hip vents make for quicker cool downs. Both models are tough as nails. Kutanas dry REALLY quick if wet or sweaty from hot weather.

For a bottom base layer, can't beat zip offs. I have the Kuiu Peloton 118s and Kuiu Merino 145s. I've about wore the 145s slap out over the past 3 years. They are my primary base layer for turkey and deer hunting. Purchased the Pelotons (synthetic) a few months ago and they are nice too. No more taking boots off to shed layers!

For top layers...I'm not near as picky and don't have an absolute favorite.

rakkin6

Depending on temps, I will wear a pair of OD Green doctors scrubs with a leady suit has an outer layer. Lightweight and breathable. Obviously if temps drop I will adjust fire and throw on a base layer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

WV Flopper

I like the Ol Tom pants, they are thin and Dry fast if they become wet. I wear a thin under armor base layer if cool.

bigriverbum

Quote from: aclawrence on February 19, 2022, 08:24:28 AM
The pants Dave is wearing are Ol' Tom's. I think they have a built in knee pads which is why I don't wear them. Those pants never fit me right since I have short legs. I bought some Nomad Stretch lite pants last year and really liked them a lot. Ive got all different kinds of shirts and a North Mountain Gear leafy jacket. If it's in the 20's I'm wearing a black down puffy underneath the leafy jacket.

i'm pretty sure you can take the knee pads out

WV Flopper

I guess while I am at it.... I like the Ol Tom shirts even more than the pants. The mesh back is awesome in the late spring! I did take out the back pad, actually have never worn any of the shirts with it in them. They dry very fast as well.   
I did notice that sweat and deodorant discolored the Mossy oak shirt badly, but the clothes washer took care of it.

bigriverbum

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 19, 2022, 06:45:42 PM
I guess while I am at it.... I like the Ol Tom shirts even more than the pants. The mesh back is awesome in the late spring! I did take out the back pad, actually have never worn any of the shirts with it in them. They dry very fast as well.   
I did notice that sweat and deodorant discolored the Mossy oak shirt badly, but the clothes washer took care of it.

i take the back pad out if i'm using a vest. i like it in if i'm running light. the vertical chest pockets are great. they breathe great, but actually are pretty tough shirts when going through brush and stuff

Spurs

Nomad is the only way to go IMO.  That mesh stuff tended to turn into sandpaper on me on long days...could just be that I'm sensitive though. :TooFunny:
This year is going to suck!!!

WV Flopper

I have psoriasis and find the Ol Tom shirt as soft as very good toilet paper. In case you haven't tried good toilet paper it is alot better than John Wayne toilet paper.

You must have really sensitive skin, sorry to hear that I am sure it is a problem.

Howie g

Natural gear makes a awesome mesh type breathable type pants and shirts , awesome spring pattern also .
Good folks to deal with also .

Spurs

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 19, 2022, 08:11:08 PM
I have psoriasis and find the Ol Tom shirt as soft as very good toilet paper. In case you haven't tried good toilet paper it is alot better than John Wayne toilet paper.

You must have really sensitive skin, sorry to hear that I am sure it is a problem.
It was mostly on the pants where the knee pads were.  I took the knee pads out immediately after the purchase, but by the second day of season, my knees were dang near rubbed raw.  I cut out the mesh and the problem stopped.  That was a few years back and they may have changed, but those nomad pants are my go-to now. 
This year is going to suck!!!

Dhamilton1

I have a pair of these Wranglers from Walmart, in the peat color I believe.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Outdoor-Comfort-Flex-Cargo-Pant/167979324

Pretty comfortable and light weight. With my camo lacrosse boots and cheap leafy top over a camo hoody, you can barely tell they are a solid color.

I also have a pair of Kings camo hunter pants, in realtree edge, that are lightweight and comfortable. Only used during archery season so far.