turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Camo dip wearing off

Started by CntrlPAlongbeard, February 18, 2022, 10:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CntrlPAlongbeard

I've noticed the same problem now on my last two turkey shotguns where the camo is wearing off after 3-4 years in the high wear areas on the stock and it seems to have a white finish underneath.
Is there anything to do about this to prevent it? Or is there a better option for having them refinished once it gets bad enough?

First one was a Remington 870 now it's a mossberg 930. I wish they could make the primer underneath a dark color instead of white.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Dtrkyman

My Mossberg is showing signs of wear, My Benelli which has seen much more abuse has way less.

Maybe some flat clear coat could stop it?  I may just throw the gun skins I have over mine when it gets bad, my turkey gun has a black receiver and barrel so I bought a kit.

Mossberg seems to be quite bad with their finish, an aftermarket dip is probably more durable.

Paulmyr

Quote from: CntrlPAlongbeard on February 18, 2022, 10:55:21 PM
I've noticed the same problem now on my last two turkey shotguns where the camo is wearing off after 3-4 years in the high wear areas on the stock and it seems to have a white finish underneath.
Is there anything to do about this to prevent it? Or is there a better option for having them refinished once it gets bad enough?

First one was a Remington 870 now it's a mossberg 930. I wish they could make the primer underneath a dark color instead of white.

The white layer underneath is the primer. They use white because it makes the colors stand out better. Then there's a base coat with a camo dip coating over it. It's finalized with matte clear coat. I would think scuffing the the affected area, priming if necessary, and touch up paint with a clear coat finish would be possible. Might be tough to match the original clear coat but that's above my pay grade.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

grayfox

Years ago I had my Beretta 3901 dipped by Bell & Carlson in Mossy Oak Breakup. It started doing the same thing within a couple years. At the time the gun was only used a few times dove hunting. I was very disappointed.

bigbird

I had my benelli dipped by rob Roberts ten or so years ago and it was showing wear in no time. Like before turkey season was over. I'm going to try ethridge hydrographics out on a different gun and if that doesn't last any longer than the previously mentioned I will rattle can it lol

Kyle_Ott

Cerakote is a better option than hydrographics if you're worried about wear in high contact areas.

Any gun with hydrographics that is hunted often will inevitably have scuffing in the most frequently handled areas.

Lucky Goose

I'm with you, I wish the primer was dark, but I actually kinda like my worn down remington.  Badge of honor i guess.

chspke

Cerakote is the way to go.  My buddy and I sent our guns to Koehler Custom Gunworks in west central Kentucky.  Not much more expensive than getting a dip and 100% customizable with greater protection to your gun. 

Paulmyr

@Chspke is there a clear coat protecting the paint on that gun in the pic?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

chspke

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 19, 2022, 06:29:20 PM
@Chspke is there a clear coat protecting the paint on that gun in the pic?
I honestly have no idea.  It looks shiny in the pics there, but it's more of a matte finish. 

CntrlPAlongbeard

It looks like there's an option for bottomland cerakote? I didn't know camo cerakote existed.
The pictures on their website are awesome
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

chspke

Quote from: CntrlPAlongbeard on February 20, 2022, 12:33:10 AM
It looks like there's an option for bottomland cerakote? I didn't know camo cerakote existed.
The pictures on their website are awesome
I'm fortunate to live a little over an hour's drive from them so my buddy and I drove over and dropped our guns off and got a quick tour of their set up.  It's a multi layered application process with the Camo, so there's a slight texture to the finish.  But why was appealing to us was the fact they could cerakote the stock and forearm.  Most factory guns are cerakoted only on the metal parts. 

All of their patterns are "simulated" so they're not exact.  But they get pretty flipping close. 

My gun above is an adapted "nat gear" pattern but with more green in it. 

They can do just about anything and make your idea come to fruition. 

EZ

This is an interesting subject.
My oldest son has an 870 SP in bottomland that is at least 25 years old and shows very little wear.
I just bought a V3 Turkey Pro, used it very little and already the camo is wearing off the sharper points.

Shouldn't these things be getting better and more durable than 25 years ago?

the Ward

The only dipped gun i have is my Benelli, and it has held up great over 10 years of steady use. It is lightening up in the grip area a bit now, and has some small nicks here and there, but it still looks almost new. Bug sprays will absolutely eat away at the finish, so avoid getting it on your gun. I accidently got some on the rubber comb on the steady grip stock, and it bubbled and dissolved some of it. Nasty stuff!

lacire

Quote from: the Ward on February 20, 2022, 08:13:45 AM
The only dipped gun i have is my Benelli, and it has held up great over 10 years of steady use. It is lightening up in the grip area a bit now, and has some small nicks here and there, but it still looks almost new. Bug sprays will absolutely eat away at the finish, so avoid getting it on your gun. I accidently got some on the rubber comb on the steady grip stock, and it bubbled and dissolved some of it. Nasty stuff!

That's a good tip on the bug spray.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr