turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Custom Striker Maker

Started by RunNGunSC, February 15, 2022, 03:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunNGunSC

Who makes your favorite strikers?  What style of tip do they make, and do they make anything unique?  I use and really like Fowler and JLH, but that is about the extent of my knowledge.

Greg Massey

Clay Townsend persimmon top over snakewood is one of my favorites alone with Osage top snakewood Fowler striker alone with other ones  . Anything from Clay is killer in the strikers, i really like the tips of his strikers .. I'm not a big fan of JHL strikers. IMO.. but a lot of people like his strikers .

Beards and Hooks

Some of my favorites besides the already mentioned Fowlers, are Neal Hermans, Derrick Stuckey (obsession calls),  and my favorite Bill Lymans. I don't hear a whole lot but about his strikers but I also really like Wendell (lights out) just got some of his in the last 3 months or so.

Boykin Hollow

Jeff Harrison of JLH strikers,  anything he makes is good

Txag12

Clay Townsend, Bill Lyman, and Derrick Stuckey.

Meleagris gallopavo

So I have a fairly vast number of custom strikers that's almost embarrassing to talk about.  I collect them and try to use them all, but alas, one season isn't long enough to get through them.  I'll share custom makers I collect from.  The vast majority I have are from JLH.  I like the look and balance they have and they tend to play well for me.  I have many strikers from Derek Fowler, Dustin Holzman, Bill Lyman, Derek Stuckey and Neal Herrman.  Those are my top makers.  I have some from a few others I like but the ones I just provided are my favorites.  I have every wood imaginable and many you've never heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

spurs2bgobblin

Harrison (JLH), Fowler, Stuckey (Obsession), Wendell (Lights Out) are my favorites.

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

spurs2bgobblin

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 15, 2022, 07:39:28 PM
So I have a fairly vast number of custom strikers that's almost embarrassing to talk about.  I collect them and try to use them all, but alas, one season isn't long enough to get through them.  I'll share custom makers I collect from.  The vast majority I have are from JLH.  I like the look and balance they have and they tend to play well for me.  I have many strikers from Derek Fowler, Dustin Holzman, Bill Lyman, Derek Stuckey and Neal Herrman.  Those are my top makers.  I have some from a few others I like but the ones I just provided are my favorites.  I have every wood imaginable and many you've never heard of.

I feel ya partner maybe a 12 step for striker collectors is in order?

"In the South it's an understanding. To a turkey hunter, it's a life not subject to change. They know it's crazy. But to them, to us, it's worth it."

PEte_A

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: spurs2bgobblin on February 15, 2022, 07:43:32 PM

I believe it is.  Strikers have given way to trumpets for me now.  I'm a ways off from buying a trumpet though.  Learning a cane yelper first, then a wingbone.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

spurs2bgobblin

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 15, 2022, 08:20:04 PM
Quote from: spurs2bgobblin on February 15, 2022, 07:43:32 PM

I believe it is.  Strikers have given way to trumpets for me now.  I'm a ways off from buying a trumpet though.  Learning a cane yelper first, then a wingbone.

Heard that! I picked up my first 2 at Unicoi this year. Got a long way to run but getting better by the day!

MDTOM84

spurs2bgobblin

Oh I forgot to mention Larry Gresser at Prairie Game Calls. Damn good strikers and very affordable. His other calls are top notch as well!

CMBOSTC

Other than my one piece strikers, I use Bill Lyman strikers as well.