OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-13 Replacement

Started by Maineiac, February 14, 2022, 11:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineiac

My Thompson encore shoots hevi-13 #6's really well out of an IC Black Diamond choke and I'm low on them. Went to buy some more only to find them discontinued, bummer for an Oregon guy buying an Oregon product!  I'm not considering any tss loads. I've shot the longbeard xr's and they seem good, but not as good, in my gun. Are the hevi struts worth getting worked up over?  Are there other loads that are similar to the hevi-13's?  I know there are Some more custom shell makers out there but the price is prohibitive for my cheap butt. I appreciate the feedback.

rakkin6

Quote from: Maineiac on February 14, 2022, 11:30:30 PM
My Thompson encore shoots hevi-13 #6's really well out of an IC Black Diamond choke and I'm low on them. Went to buy some more only to find them discontinued, bummer for an Oregon guy buying an Oregon product!  I'm not considering any tss loads. I've shot the longbeard xr's and they seem good, but not as good, in my gun. Are the hevi struts worth getting worked up over?  Are there other loads that are similar to the hevi-13's?  I know there are Some more custom shell makers out there but the price is prohibitive for my cheap butt. I appreciate the feedback.
Have you tried the Magnum Blend? They might be an option for you.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Roost 1

12ga or 20ga? I have 9- 20ga heavy sixes for sale.
Might still have some 12ga, I'd have to look.

pdaugherty

HEVI got bout out this past year by VISTA Outdoors, expect a lot of products to be discounted and new ones to show up.

Greg Massey

I know of a small gun store in Tennesse , that still has some left in 20 ga. 6 shot and some 12 ga.     I bought all the ones they had in the 20 gauge 7 shot ...

2eagles

KENT TK7 PENETRATOR HIGH PERFORMANCE TUNGSTEN TURKEY LOADS
Not really tss. Not quite as dense and I saw some on the shelf at a farm store today.

Maineiac

Thanks all for the replies. I appreciate it.

West Augusta

I prefer Mag Blends to straight one size shot.  But then that's my shotgun not yours.  Give them a try.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gooserbat

There's a reason why tss has taken over the industry. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

joey46

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 17, 2022, 07:43:04 AM
There's a reason why tss has taken over the industry.
Yes there is.  If you are shooting a lot at 30 yards and under use any of the old fashion loads.  They still work fine.  The new generation of hunters that can't pattern or practice much go with TSS.  The big birds deserve a clean kill.

silvestris

And the clean shots result in calling them close, 35 yards or closer.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Wvdanimal

If you're truly that cheap then go with mag blends. Awesome rounds for sure.  BUT if we ever return to realistic prices in life, treat yourself to a box of #9 TSS and never look back.

DirtNap647

Sounds like a bunch of guys who would tag a Jake opening morning :turkey2:

Missouri hunter

This has sure gone down hill... a guy ask for ammo suggestions and the next thing you know people are telling everyone how much better they are than others, because of the ammo they shoot.

For the OP if I didn't want to shoot tss, then I would use Double X 6s or 5s, whichever would throw the best pattern. I currently shoot apex 9s out of a full choke for a wider pattern that kills at 40yds. Then if I feel like it I can shoot double x 6s out of the same setup and limit myself to 35 yards.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Missouri hunter on February 17, 2022, 10:23:13 PM
This has sure gone down hill... a guy ask for ammo suggestions and the next thing you know people are telling everyone how much better they are than others, because of the ammo they shoot.

For the OP if I didn't want to shoot tss, then I would use Double X 6s or 5s, whichever would throw the best pattern. I currently shoot apex 9s out of a full choke for a wider pattern that kills at 40yds. Then if I feel like it I can shoot double x 6s out of the same setup and limit myself to 35 yards.

Yep... Let the hollier  then thou mentally ruin anything. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.