turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thermal underwear

Started by Hwd silvestris, February 13, 2022, 07:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan_Wiles

Agree with others merino wool base layers is the way to go. Black Ovis stuff seems good quality and I have some of the light 150 stuff from Skre gear that is near perfect for my part of tge world.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Number17

All I will wear anymore is merino wool baselayers. I have Minus 33, Icebreaker, and some midway usa brand anywhere from silk thin to Expedition weight.
There is nothing like it for dryness, softness, and its ability to not stink like synthetic.

All my under armour went to good will. I don't and won't have a single piece anymore.

Cotton waffle thermals are fine as long as you plan on not sweating. You sweat in cotton in cold weather and you're done.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

slicksbeagles1

aclawrence

First Lite merino wool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Ranman

Merino wool.. First Lite, LL Bean, Minus 33, all have been great. I get what's on sale. I do like the 100%, so it is not itchy.

J-Shaped

Merino wool. First Lite, BlackOvis, Minus33, Icebreaker all make good options to choose from. Wicks well and unlike synthetics like UA, does not stink.

nyhunter

I love the GO ATHLETICS  brand there made in the USA, there very similar to the under armour 4.0 but a much better fit. and I'll always support USA over china. plus there only $25.00 each for a top and bottom.

Jmillwood21

I use first lite merino bases. I also have some thick cabelas brand that are nice. But get warm walking. Also have some old Patagonia ones. They are awesome as well. 

CntrlPAlongbeard

I also started using the first lite bases this year, and they are nice but they're not magical.

If you really want to stay warm get a heated vest. I got the one from pnuma while on sale with an extra battery. It's not cheap but it is INCREDIBLE! And will change your life.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

PalmettoRon

Agree 100% re: merino. It is more expensive, but it's not itchy, doesn't smell and still insulates when wet. I've used Icebreaker for years, but will check out First Lite. I've been toasty at -15 with a 260 base layer.

the Ward

Are you looking for something just to keep the chill at bay at early morning turkey hunting? I usually wear some generic thin stretchy poly type long john tops and bottoms . Just enough to stay comfortable at dawn, but light enough they don't get too hot later in morning. Plus side to them is that they help keep ticks off of you. I usually wear a super thin neck gaiter of the same material tucked in to my top too. I live in northern climate so it's probably quite a bit cooler in the mornings during season than the fellows who live in the south, so my choice might be a little warm for down there. I think my wife picked them up at walmart, much to my chagrin.

Sungrazer

Quote from: nyhunter on February 14, 2022, 05:34:39 AM
I love the GO ATHLETICS  brand there made in the USA, there very similar to the under armour 4.0 but a much better fit. and I'll always support USA over china. plus there only $25.00 each for a top and bottom.
Thanks for that link! Like to use fleece over Merino base layers for late season Deer. AND Made in USA, I'll be ordering some Go Athletic.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Sungrazer on February 14, 2022, 10:19:47 AM
Quote from: nyhunter on February 14, 2022, 05:34:39 AM
Thanks for that link! Like to use fleece over Merino base layers for late season Deer. AND Made in USA, I'll be ordering some Go Athletic.
Now we are talking, my kind of place and made in the USA ... thanks for sharing

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: wchadw on February 13, 2022, 08:28:19 PM
Minus 33 merino wool
You won't be cold

Yup this is  what I use. I use the midweight a lot, light weight rarely, and heavy weight even less. But the midweight is pretty darn good for early season turkey hunting.