turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WHO Gets To Shoot??

Started by quavers59, February 11, 2022, 03:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I have always thought about this in past Springs. I see more of it now. It is getting more common on Public Lands to see Hunting " Groups" of 3 and sometimes 4 Men.
   Very common  in the Public Parking areas to see 2 Trucks pull in and 4 Total Turkey Hunters get out. They all walk in together as a Unit. Or less often - it is 3 Men with 3 Mountain  Bikes and they all Bike in together at 4am-- leaving me in " the dust" after they bike in and zoom past me at the 1/4 mile mark.  3 Flashlights bobbing this way + that + coming in quick from the parking area.
    I am thinking that be it 3 Men or 4-- 1 or 2 Huge Fields will have the Men set up in different  corners and facing the same way.
   It is possible.  What do Y'All think?-- Positive  Thread here to pass the time .
             GOOD LUCK OUT THERE ALL.

fallhnt

When I go with friends we sit together and have who shoots worked out prior, just like waterfowl. If we split up,we know not to shoot in that direction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Nathan_Wiles

We always discuss prior to going in:
I've killed a bird but you haven't then your up but I'm in the game if I have a tag and something goes wrong for you.
There are  times we both have tags and when we sit to the turkey we'll pick a tree out in front and your side of the tree is yours and mine is mine...interesting stories come from this.
Other times we're just riding together and once we leave the truck we're hunting solo for the day. This requires like-minded approaches are you hunting til 8-9 then go find breakfast come back at 11 guy or are you leaving the truck in the dark and won't be back until you get one or the sun goes down.
Like minded Turkey hunting buddies are very rare in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

perrytrails

I've hunted with 2-4 in a group for years. So many times when I hunted by myself I've had some amazing hunts and no one to share it with. Not into filming.

It's much more fun to me. Especially if your taking someone for their first bird. Everyone enjoys it, and many times the designated shooter can't get the shot. Others will have different angle's.

Many many good memories are made. Lots of good campfire stories years later.

Happy

Up to this point I have never hunted with more than one person and when I hunt with another person then they have always been the primary shooter. If I am out to kill a turkey then I typically always go alone. As I matter of fact I have shot exactly 3 turkeys in the presence of another hunter. And two of those were because they got around on the intended shooter.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I occasionally hunt with two other people together.   I'm always low man on the Shootem pole by choice.   Most times I don't even have a gun.   I'm there to record any possible mishaps like spooking birds, missing, forgetting something etc.   I don't want such actions to happen and never be spoken about again.   I will bring them up multiple times in the future at appropriate times, or inappropriate.   Some events are nameworthy, we will give that spot a name like, Five-O, Double Tap Hill, Coyote Mound, 54, Plot Watcher etc ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

silvestris

Or it mostly that mostly are scared of getting lost alone in the woods.  I have seen a lot of those.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

quavers59

Silvestris  has one answer I overlooked. Alot of people fear walking into the Dark Woods alone even with a Flashlight. No one wants to get lost and that noise you hear in my Favorite Area-- Wetlands- is probably  a Coon and not Bigfoot coming to check you out since they are rumored  to be Nocturnal- lol.
  I grew up on a Deadend road at the end and was always in the Dark Woods alone- used to it.
   Good positive answers above.

g8rvet

When hunting with more than myself, it is generally known who will be the caller and who will be the shooter.  Like to have it worked out ahead of time.  The caller is generally behind the shooter, but in sight.  If the bird gets by the shooter or skirts, then sometimes it is the caller that shoots. I can only think of one time that happened, but always ready if the caller still has a bird to shoot. I like hunting together as a nice change of pace, but really enjoy solo hunts.  Once someone I am mentoring has achieved status, they can call for themselves. Son did it at about 16, daughter has still not.  If she is with me, I am calling and she is shooting - period! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

2eagles

I Do! I have shot more than my share of Iowa turkeys and no one has ever seen me kill a bird because I always hunt by myself. Never any question as to who gets to shoot.

Loyalist84

I've had the 3 man crew a few times - myself, a buddy or my Dad, and the new guy we were bringing out with us. We all get to go turkey hunting, and one guy calls while the other guy brings a gun for a follow-up shot in case the bird is winged by the inexperienced guy or more than one Tom comes in.

Bedge7767

Jim

TrackeySauresRex

Have you ever  heard of, "I am 3rd"?   ;) I usually hunt with one other... or alone.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

crow

I used to get passed by bicycles in NY all the time,

Then I got a red pickup truck and that fixed that problem

HookedonHooks

Every person added to the hunt just exponentially raises the difficulty of finding an appropriate set up in most run and gun situations. Sometimes by myself I question where to sit when he hammers the call unexpectedly, and when hunting with other people have found retreating a little to a better set up might be a better option than forcing a set up right where you heard him.

As others have mentioned though, the stories and memories from partner hunts is incredible and often better than the solo memories and why I continue to do so much partner/group hunting. As far as the question at hand, whoever's up to bat gets the shot, it's like a batting order in a baseball, just go down the line and circle back around. Sometimes the guy on deck has a gun with him in case the guy at the plate swings and misses.