OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Add your one tip not calling related to kill more birds this year…

Started by northms, February 09, 2022, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ferocious calls

Create a network of non hunting property owners. They can help us pattern, know numbers of birds on a piece of ground. They may even know roost areas. Hunting pressure and often by whom. Having several of these can help keep us on birds the entire season. Sending a Christmas card won't hurt either. Trapping their place will help you both.

Another that is calling related. We can often prime Toms on the roost the evening prior to the next morning with great success. Hard clucks often start a fire.

dzsmith

I consider scratching a call, and i know its already been mentioned. very effective tool no doubt. patience is key...chances are if you killed in excess of 30 eastern gobblers in the woods you have patience so thats nothing new. scouting.....well, thats a tough one. I try to actually stay out of the woods as much as possible in the weeks leading up to turkey season...i know many do not do that. Here is my take on that. If you know where a winter flock is pretty consistently during deer season, especially in the southern eastern timber...theres only so many draines and places they can really spread out to. I do listen before season and try to locate birds, but i save most of my scouting for in season....i dont go walking around in the woods i plan on hunting , and on many years some of the winter birds havent quiet busted up yet anyway by the opener so any scouting you would have done would be short lived anyway. I do listen like i said, my form of scouting is during deer season. I learn the woods during deer season or at least by scouting before or after deer season. I take notes of turkeys i see in deer season, and look at areas from an aerial view to determine spots they could potentially be in when its time to listen. I may go in the woods to listen...but i try to keep my distance from the turkeys i plan on hunting. There may be better methods of scouting, but its pretty difficult in many of the places i hunt to find good sign even in places where i know there is turkeys. Not per say muddy roads and such all the time. This may not be good advice for all areas, but in the places i hunt this has payed off verses walking  entire blocks of timber the week before the opener.....this is by no means out of laziness, trust me id love to burn some boots up, its more so out of caution
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

owlhoot

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 10, 2022, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: crow on February 10, 2022, 03:54:14 PM
Make friends with farmers who have free ranging broad breasted bronze turkeys

This subspecies seems to require the least realistic calling I have ever hunted
:TooFunny: :fud: :OGani: :TooFunny:

This is funny stuff right!  And good advice. ;D

owlhoot

owlhoot

Paulmyr

Quote from: dzsmith on February 13, 2022, 08:32:37 AM
I consider scratching a call, and i know its already been mentioned. very effective tool no doubt. patience is key...chances are if you killed in excess of 30 eastern gobblers in the woods you have patience so thats nothing new. scouting.....well, thats a tough one. I try to actually stay out of the woods as much as possible in the weeks leading up to turkey season...i know many do not do that. Here is my take on that. If you know where a winter flock is pretty consistently during deer season, especially in the southern eastern timber...theres only so many draines and places they can really spread out to. I do listen before season and try to locate birds, but i save most of my scouting for in season....i dont go walking around in the woods i plan on hunting , and on many years some of the winter birds havent quiet busted up yet anyway by the opener so any scouting you would have done would be short lived anyway. I do listen like i said, my form of scouting is during deer season. I learn the woods during deer season or at least by scouting before or after deer season. I take notes of turkeys i see in deer season, and look at areas from an aerial view to determine spots they could potentially be in when its time to listen. I may go in the woods to listen...but i try to keep my distance from the turkeys i plan on hunting. There may be better methods of scouting, but its pretty difficult in many of the places i hunt to find good sign even in places where i know there is turkeys. Not per say muddy roads and such all the time. This may not be good advice for all areas, but in the places i hunt this has payed off verses walking  entire blocks of timber the week before the opener.....this is by no means out of laziness, trust me id love to burn some boots up, its more so out of caution

An older gentleman on this forum posted something along the lines of this last year. Silvestris, I think he was quoting from a book when he said' "The number one sin in Turkey hunting is letting them know you exist".

That statement fits well into my style of hunting. Public land during the mid to late season pressured birds tend find areas that are hard to access. I'm constantly on the search for these areas. When I find them in spot like this there is a good chance nobody is hunting them. I will do everything in my power to make sure make sure they have no idea there is a hunter after them. If it don't happen that day I wont force the issue because I will be back! I'll live to fight another day with hopes that other hunters don't find the birds I'm hunting and the birds will still think they area is somewhat safe and will continue to use it.

I would imagine a strategy like this would greatly benefit an exclusive private land hunter even more.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

I'd like to add my preseason scouting is done from the road,with my ears, if I can help it. I'll study the area on topo and satellite imagery. Boots on the ground usually don't come into play until hunting season.

Scouting during the season usually consists of going into an area blind and hunting.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Meleagris gallopavo

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

TauntoHawk

When it's slow, cover ground, ive had several completely dead mornings that went from zero right into finding a screaming hot bird after double digit miles.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WV Flopper

Fluids and snacks.

I pack two Gatorades with me, jerky and the large rice crispy treats. You can't hurt jerky and you can mash the rice crispy's without hurting them.

About 10 o'clock I am looking for something to eat. If I don't have, it is on my mind. So derail the hungry belly and carry some snacks.

I have been regulated by 12:00 cut off laws most of my life. When I get out of state and don't get back to the truck until the afternoon I set and have a sandwich and drink before I ever start my ride.

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

topnotch

Dead on target, scratching leaves to birds that answer but won't come to your calling has gave me several happy endings.
Also watching behind you has added more filled kill tags.
I've had numerous toms go quiet and circle behind my hide.

MK M GOBL

Woodsmanship: Defined as the essential skillset of the outdoorsmen/hunter.

The best woodsmen have extensive knowledge about their targeted quarry. They learn their hunting areas intimately and interpret animal sign almost unconsciously. Learn turkey biology, understand their habits, and the social structure of turkeys. Patience and persistence fall into this as well.

MK M GOBL

Mike13