turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

“Best” homemade coon bait

Started by JohnSouth22, February 07, 2022, 01:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

With deer season wrapping up here in south AL it is about time to put out the coon traps. Was interested to hear what everyone has luck with baiting DP coon traps. I personally have had great luck with cat food mini marshmallow mix but was curious to hear what other people run.

CALLM2U

Marshmallows and vanilla extract. 

Sir-diealot

Marshmallows and tuna, not if in an area if it freezes though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quackaddict

Shelled corn, sweet feed, protein pellets, marshmallows, cat food, dog food...take your pick.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

wchadw

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on February 07, 2022, 01:01:57 PM
With deer season wrapping up here in south AL it is about time to put out the coon traps. Was interested to hear what everyone has luck with baiting DP coon traps. I personally have had great luck with cat food mini marshmallow mix but was curious to hear what other people run.

you use dry cat food?  i been using marshallows and sardines but i would like to get away from the sardines...

RossAnderson

I've always used dry dog food topped with honey in a dog proof trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Ross

bobk

Dry cat food in a DP trap.

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

Parrot Head

Dry cat food or marshmallows.  I then keep bacon grease all summer in a squeeze bottle and add a little of the grease in.

ScottTaulbee

Best I've ever made is bacon grease, put it in a glass jar, melt the grease and mix in gold fish flakes, and add some salmon oil also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbird22

Sardines mixed with dry cat food outcatches everything else I've tried.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Candyman

Fish flavored dry cat food, mini marshmallows and cherry kool aid. I also use a spray bottle full of water and imitation vanilla to spray around the trap and or trail where the DP is set.

JohnSouth22

Quote from: wchadw on February 07, 2022, 01:49:07 PM
Quote from: JohnSouth22 on February 07, 2022, 01:01:57 PM

you use dry cat food?  i been using marshallows and sardines but i would like to get away from the sardines...
I have had really good luck with dry cat food. Ditched the sardines long ago. Little to no difference in results

Remington700

In DP's use dry cat food and marshmallows. Depending on the trap you use the fishier the bait the more likely you are to catch opossum and skunks.

MO_HUNTER

Like several have stated, marshmallows and vanilla. Also, I started using the floating fish food..  it lasts a little longer in the elements as it is a little more resistant to water. It's a good bait.

bear hunter