OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

200 year old heart pine, what to do?

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 07, 2022, 05:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

My niece finally tore down an old house that had been on our property for 200 years or so.  She saved as much of the lumber as possible, which are beams and foundation sills.  Most pieces are large, heavy and have a few of the old flat iron blacksmith nails.  My plan is to have some calls made from this wood for my son, nephews and a cousin or two.  I've contacted 2 pot call makers and 1 box call maker already.  I have a good local duck call maker.  My question for the group is who would be good to make calls from this wood and what would you use this wood for?  Smallest pieces are 4" thick and one of the main seals is closer to 12" square (and about 20' long).  I can see the center rings of the heart on the ends of all the pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Yoder409

Pretty sure that it was Mike Lapp that just did an amazing 3-call match set of boxes from heart pine.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

I think the call makers would love to have it. I have a Jimmy Schaefer Heartwood Pine Glass pot that sounds amazing. The grain is super tight/dense.....
"Solo hunter"

shatcher

I also have a heart pine pot from Jimmy Schaefer that came from a pre-civil war home in Georgia.  Made an excellent call.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Tom007 on February 07, 2022, 07:35:03 AM
I think the call makers would love to have it. I have a Jimmy Schaefer Heartwood Pine Glass pot that sounds amazing. The grain is super tight/dense.....
This stuff is like that.  Heavy too.

West Augusta

Jeff White has made a short box out of heart pine and I have made strikers from it.    It works well for turkey calls.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

highball

Albert Paul is making some box calls out of heart pine.

aclawrence

This is interesting timing as I just came into possession of some old pine myself today. This came out of a house built in 1897.  I'm planning to turn it into a kitchen table soon but I'm sure I'll have some left over.

Bedge7767

Here's the calls and the striker that was made for me from my Heart Pine.  Trumpet and Pot Call by Mr Bob Buckner. The striker was made by Steve Torman and the Box was made by Jeff White. Pine makes a fine call.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jim

3bailey3

Bedge7767

Jim

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Bedge7767 on February 07, 2022, 09:31:31 PM
Here's the calls and the striker that was made for me from my Heart Pine.  Trumpet and Pot Call by Mr Bob Buckner. The striker was made by Steve Torman and the Box was made by Jeff White. Pine makes a fine call.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's what I'm planning to do with mine.  Have several types of calls made.

Meleagris gallopavo

Here's some of it.

Meleagris gallopavo

Another piece.

Bedge7767

That's a big piece.