OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Forcing Cone benefits

Started by jb1069, February 02, 2022, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb1069

I am interested in getting the forcing cones lengthened on a new Tristar over/under if it is beneficial. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is not terribly expensive through Rob Roberts but I don't want to spend the money if I wont see the benefits of tighter pattern, less recoil and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kyle_Ott

If you're planning on shooting TSS, you're going to waste money lengthening your forcing cone for marginal improvement.

If you're not shooting TSS, I would strongly encourage you to polish your barrel before messing with your forcing cone.  I've seen pattern densities improve by as much as 25% after barrel polishing but I've never known anyone who had pattern density improve more than than 5-10% after forcing cone work. 

Goodluck whichever path your pursue. 

Greg Massey

It improves the pattern and lesson the recoil in my opinion.. I think it's a great option for turkey guns regardless what shell you decide to shoot...

Dtrkyman

I know it is more beneficial in a smaller bored gun, even within the same gauge inside diameters are not the same. May look into that guns bore diameter and see if it is on the smaller side.

For a turkey gun I would say it is not worth it, with modern ammo and chokes guns perform to crazy distances, further than I am willing to shoot.

If it is a do all gun, particularly waterfowl the increased patterns may be well worth it?

Are you not satisfied with current patterns?

Search for deep bore cleaning polishing, something you can do your self for really cheap to improve patterns.

Most of my guns have chrome lined barrels, I use chrome polish on a cleaning mop attached to my cordless drill, never tested it for improving patterns but it sure does make it easy to clean throughout the season, bore snake once in a while and done!     

jb1069

I haven't even patterned the gun yet so it may not even need it. Just something I was reading up on and thought I would get some opinions before spending the money. Thanks for the replies.

jordanz7935

Ive had more than one turkey gun guru tell me its a waste of money... they said its just as likely to pattern worse after. Tungsten does not deform so the only benefit would be recoil reduction. I've always wondered how gunsmiths lengthen forcing cones in chrome lined barrels...???

Tom007

Quote from: jb1069 on February 02, 2022, 12:19:29 PM
I am interested in getting the forcing cones lengthened on a new Tristar over/under if it is beneficial. Does anyone have any experience with this? It is not terribly expensive through Rob Roberts but I don't want to spend the money if I wont see the benefits of tighter pattern, less recoil and such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My Browning Cynergy Turkey Over-under comes stock from the factory with lengthened forcing cones. This gun patterns extremely well with almost all the chokes I have tested through it. I never had it added to any of my other guns, so I can't offer any info on that. You will love your over-under. I would pattern it first, you might love it, and save a few bucks....good luck.

jb1069

Tom,

How do you have you o/u choked? Both the same or one for distance and one for close up?

trkehunr93

Back in the 80's when Bansner started doing this and cutting barrels down and installing aftermarket chokes it was groundbreaking work but with the advances in shotshells and all the options we have 30+ years later it doesn't seem worth it.  I would just polish the barrel, there's some good info on here to help with that.

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tom007

Quote from: jb1069 on February 02, 2022, 03:36:33 PM
Tom,

How do you have you o/u choked? Both the same or one for distance and one for close up?

If I sit over decoys, I have the spreader choke in the top barrel for the 25 yard in shots. I use Federal 3rd degree for this choke. My long range Rob Roberts .660 is in the bottom barrel. I got lucky with this gun, the POI is very close between the two barrels, thus I can add another long range choke to the top if I am running/gunning in the big woods. You will love the 2 barrel option, gives you versatility in using 2 different chokes, and 2 different loads.

Yoder409

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 02, 2022, 03:14:45 PM
Ive had more than one turkey gun guru tell me its a waste of money... they said its just as likely to pattern worse after.

Had a pretty in-depth conversation about this with a gentleman who owns a choke tube company.  A name EVERYONE would recognize.  His take was this........

Lengthening the cone generally WILL give you a more UNIFORM pattern.  Not always what you want in a dedicated turkey gun.  You very well may have a gun that naturally throws a pattern with a denser core with sparser edges.  That's exactly what you want in a turkey gun.  If you do the cone on that gun, you lose that.  Now........he said if you use your gun for turkeys AND waterfowl, for instance.......then doing the cone may be to your best interest.

As for felt recoil reduction........... I do have a trio of guns that have had the cones done.  Yeah.......... No.    If you can tell me the difference at the buttpad between identical guns.......one prepped and one not........you're better than I am.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Gooserbat

For lead is dead I've had good success, TSS I'd not mess with it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ihuntoldschool

You might get a little less recoil (lower velocity) not sure if it will be enough to notice.
Hit and miss for pattern, might help, might hurt.   

Think of it like this, if it was ever proven that a specific length or specific taper on a forcing cone produced the best patterns all the expensive, custom target shotguns would provide that to stay competitive.   Find something else to waste your money on.  Of all the things that matter when it comes to patterns, this it at the very bottom of the list.

jb1069

Thanks for all the information guys.