turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short stocks

Started by strut, January 31, 2022, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut

In watching a Pinhoti Project once, I believe Dave mentioned he had a kids stock on his gun.
I liked the idea and tried it on a Franchi 28 gauge that had the youth stock I purchased for my daughter 15 years ago. It seems to slip in place so easily that I'm considering it for my other turkey guns.
Anyone else do this? Any thoughts or concerns?

Ranger

Yes sir, shoot youth models almost exclusively for turkey if a newer gun. Makes all the difference in the world on a shot to your non dominant side ( right side for a right handed shooter, 3 oclock). Remingtons have shorter LOPs and feel great compared to newer guns like Stoeger, youths are not only an advantage because of the weight but mostly because of the LOP
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Remington700

Youth or compact stocks are the only way to go. I have a little shorter arms to begin with so I have swapped a lot of my guns stocks in the last few years.

simpzenith

Yep, my 20-ga is a youth model and on my 12-ga, I swapped it out for a shorter stock some time back.

slicksbeagles1

Has long as it's a dedicated turkey gun I have a youth model that one day I had the bright idea to try and rabbit hunt with it I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn

Dtrkyman

I like my gun to fit, do not want it short!  Too short and you may catch a thumb in the nose!

Greg Massey

Agree, i want it to fit.. don't care for a short stock

Greg Massey

Reason Dave has a short shot was he said he had shorter arms etc in the video..

Dtrkyman

I understand Dave's and many others reasons,  but not the I just want a short stock reasons.

I am a wing shooter, shot thousands of Dove's before I ever even hunted turkeys, properly fitted guns are crucial. 

DirtNap647

Yup youth models, even cut my benelli steady grip shorter.
With a red dot hitting shouldn't be an issue

Ranger

Yeah as mentioned Covehntr probably needs the youth stock because he's a little feller.  I prefer the youth stock when sitting at a tree for being bunched up and turning to your right. Wingshooting, deer, I shoot an older A5. Only at the base of a tree do I want a short LOP, and I've made shots with the butt pad in some off positions that would have been impossible with a standard sized stock
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Lucky Goose

I have a shorter LOP and therefore most all of my guns have shortened or have youth stocks on them.  Lots of people out there don't fit a 14" LOP, especially bundled up, hunched at the base of a tree, or wearing waders.  My shooting improved dramatically once I realized how important LOP was and made the switch.

aclawrence

I shoot a 870 compact and a Tikka T3 compact for my deer rifle. I'm really short so these fit me much better. When you're shooting a rifle it's even more important to be able to get the right distance from the scope especially if I have a backpack strap between the gun and my shoulder. Sometimes the way you get slouched around the tree turkey hunting the shorter stock really helps out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I bought a mossberg 510 mini 20ga a few years back and removed the spacers from the stock to make it as short as possible, which I think put it at a 10.5" LOP.  It felt fine sitting against my wall in the living room.  I went to pattern it with a turkey load  and that gun hit my face so hard that I just packed everything up and went home.  Even with all of the stock spacers the mini stock was still too short.  I ended up buying a magpull SGA stock for it and running 1 spacer for a LOP of 13", which is just about perfect for me.

Lucky Goose

Quote from: fmf on February 01, 2022, 09:05:43 AM
I bought a mossberg 510 mini 20ga a few years back and removed the spacers from the stock to make it as short as possible, which I think put it at a 10.5" LOP.  It felt fine sitting against my wall in the living room.  I went to pattern it with a turkey load  and that gun hit my face so hard that I just packed everything up and went home.  Even with all of the stock spacers the mini stock was still too short.  I ended up buying a magpull SGA stock for it and running 1 spacer for a LOP of 13", which is just about perfect for me.

That cracked me up....Just pack it in, head home, and regroup. haha. 

13" is what works great for me as well.  Amazing the difference