turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros/Cons of a Pump vs Autoloader

Started by simpzenith, January 30, 2022, 03:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

I just recently switch to a 20 gauge semi auto, from a 12 gauge pump, there are times I do wish I had pump action, maybe out of familiarity, with that said here's my list...

1)Auto loading of course, makes for a quick follow up shot if need be.

2) It sits better on my knee with the longer fore-end. Gives it a flatter surface on my knee.

3) Less recoil for what it's worth.

A lot of the reason I went semi auto was I wanted a lighter 20 gauge vs the pump 12. A lot of the 20s I noticed seem to come in Semi auto more so then pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genehalteman

I've only shot a handful or 2 of turkeys...for shotguns I've used T/C Encore, Benelli Nova, Weatherby Element and current gun is a Girsan MC312. I like a solid forearm...which would go to single or semi-auto for me, but no strong preference for me.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

sasquatch1

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 30, 2022, 04:29:15 PM
My gun has a little bit of recoil. I run 2.675 oz. of TSS and the recoil will cycle the next round with me just pulling the trigger and holding on to the big girl. It has never failed, not one time, in 20 years.

My son's gun, a M2 is less than my BPS in reliability. New, after set up, the Benelli click. 35 yards on a strutter, youth season for a 12 year old. I spent +-2K for the Benelli click!

My BPS is reliable, it has fired every time I have asked it too and has never fired with out me asking it too. It is heavy, but will put over 600 holes in a 10" target @ 40 yards.

I have been looking at new 20g autos, maybe..... reading what I just wrote, I should be looking at a pump gun. I have NO trouble running a pump. But, it won't be a nose punching Mossberg.
Swap out the spring with a wolf +25%. It will hold the bolt shut a lot better not allowing a little bounce or something to allow the bolt to come out of battery.

Only downside is you won't be able to cycle low power shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gooserbat

I use both but I reach for the Beneli M2 more because it's lighter to pack. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeyman

I've got both a Moss 930 (3" auto) and Moss 835 (3.5" pump). The auto swats less...even if I use 3" shells in the pump. Plus, when walking with slinged gun on shoulder, the auto is silent...the forend on the pump tends to rattle. Now...with all the hoarding Covid hunters I can't find any 3" WW LB 6s...3.5" WW LBs easy to find so that's what I'll be using. I don't mind...I've never felt the recoil of any gun when shooting at game.

WV Flopper

Even though it is inherent to a Mossberg pump to rattle, not all pumps rattle.

Crghss

I've used auto's as it's usually my turkey, duck, dove gun. I used my brothers 870 one year. Had a turkey coming in with 870 laying next to my leg. As turkey went behind a tree I raised the shotgun. It a made click noise......to me sounded like slamming a car door. The sound was probably (must've been) very faint. As I waited what seemed like forever for the turkey to walk from behind the tree I thought I blew it. But he appeared and I pulled the trigger. I'll never use a pump for turkey again.

I'll build a single shot 20ga this year.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Tail Feathers

If it's a quality gun and properly maintained, the odds of failure probably aren't much different between pumps and semi autos.  Semi's usually have more moving parts so I guess the odds of breaking may be a tiny bit higher.  A good inspection before season every year and good maintenance can lessen all those odds.  My #1 turkey gun is a semi auto, #2 is a single shot and #3 is a pump. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mcw3734

I first started hunting as a kid with a Mossberg 500. I hated the noise that thing made when trying to rest it on my knee. Once I had the opportunity, I switched to an auto strictly for that reason. Yes, I'm sure better quality pump guns make less sound.

Now... with an autoloader, you can make a heck of a racket loading and unloading if you're not careful. But I feel that's worth the trade-off.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Turkeyman on January 31, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
I've never felt the recoil of any gun when shooting at game.

Me neither,...I don't realize that my 835 kicked the snot out of me until about an hour after the shot when, all of a sudden, I have a sore spot and a bruise developing on my cheek.  Fortunately, that 835 shoots right where I aim it, so I (usually) don't have to worry about pulling the trigger more than one time! When all is said and done, THAT is what is most important to me in gun selection.   ;) ;D

bigriverbum

Quote from: Crghss on January 31, 2022, 09:43:24 PM
I've used auto's as it's usually my turkey, duck, dove gun. I used my brothers 870 one year. Had a turkey coming in with 870 laying next to my leg. As turkey went behind a tree I raised the shotgun. It a made click noise......to me sounded like slamming a car door. The sound was probably (must've been) very faint. As I waited what seemed like forever for the turkey to walk from behind the tree I thought I blew it. But he appeared and I pulled the trigger. I'll never use a pump for turkey again.

I'll build a single shot 20ga this year.

if i have a bird coming in i typically have my gun already up and ready

Bowguy

Spring Creek Calls

I've used pumps all my life, and will continue to use them, but last year I bought a Mossberg International SA-28 just for turkey hunting. It's light and very potent with an ounce and a half of TSS. I'll  hold on to my Model 12 and 1300.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

strum

I've always used pumps. yes, they may rattle but there are ways to fix that too. Only one time I wished I had an auto. I always used a mossy 500 12ga   very few misses but I took my new to me Weatherby all set up, dipped in camo, patterned, tested blah blah. Had a gobbler coming. He was little to my right and about to walk out of view off the side of the ridge but still at about 40yrds. I put the dot on the waddle and boom. he never moved. There I was trying to shuck a shell into that thing without making any noise. Got the old shell out but no love on the reload. he spooked and flew off. Never knew why I missed but I lost confidence in that gun right then and there. Now Im shooting a 20ga 870 . it's been as dependable and spot on as any Ive ever owned. I dont know about yall but I never forget those moments and when I think of that one, I'm always thinking .."what if I had been shooting an auto?" 

terp

Pros of an auto are reduced recoil and less chance of a rattle. Having said that I use a pump and it works fine.   The difference is not that significant.  Use what you have unless you just want to buy a new gun.  Nothing wrong with that either.