turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Facemask debate

Started by RiverRoost, January 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

I love the Nomad loose fit gaiter. I actually had my old lady get me another for Christmas in case they ever stop making it

Tom007

Another vote for Nomad, love the adjustability. Fantastic
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: Terry on January 25, 2022, 09:28:56 AM
Anyone recommend a mesh 1/2 mask that's camo on the inside too?

Camo printed both sides, mesh, loose fitting, light weight, super comfy and cool.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-spandex-camo-half-mask
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Number17

Last year i bought a section of no see um mesh fabric to try to keep my kids covered up when hunting with me. It was like 12' x 5' and I cut it down to 6x5 to just drape over us. Like the fabric used for blind windows.
I had it while hunting alone one morning and the bugs were getting bag so I pulled it out, tucked 6" of it in the back of my hat and tossed the rest draped over the front of me. My hat brim kept it off my face and the gnats didn't stand a chance. Covered my shoulders and all about down to the top of my boots.
I quickly realized the value of it for concealment as well. It totally breaks up your outline almost as if you're sitting in a blind. Turkeys pay absolutely no attention to you.

I ended up poking a hole in the fabric to stick the gun barrel through. It's so thin you can easily see your sights right through the material. You can work a friction call on your lap and movement is totally concealed.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/truetimber-camo-material?rrec=true

This stuff right here. Not sure it's printed on both sides but it's so thin that the camo shows through both sides.
Especially for nap time this stuff is really great.

#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

Quote from: paboxcall on January 25, 2022, 10:37:38 AM
Quote from: Terry on January 25, 2022, 09:28:56 AM
Anyone recommend a mesh 1/2 mask that's camo on the inside too?

Camo printed both sides, mesh, loose fitting, light weight, super comfy and cool.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/redhead-spandex-camo-half-mask

I had a gift card to burn so I put one of these on the order. I can't stand a tight fitting mask. Lost a good one years ago and haven't found a replacement yet. This might be it..
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Moneyball11

If you wear a hat this works fantastic. I've used merino, polyester, mesh, and in my opinion this one is the best.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/phantom-3d-balaclava

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I know this is not the brand you asked about, but I have been using these because of the whole covid thing. I am very claustrophobic and have had a very hard time because of the masks adding heat to my face (if either the mouth or the nose was allowed to be uncovered it would not be a problem) This is very breathable, does not work into that soft area under the eyes and is very comfortable outside when there is a lower temperature or a breeze.

I have not tried them in super hot weather, I carry a hand held fan and just use them together when I have to go to my doctors office or any other place they will not let me in without a mask. Hope it helps and best of luck during the season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GunRunner

I don't get these leading outdoor products companies producing camo face masks or even the nice camo zip up fleece I got for Christmas that has a camo pattern on outside and white fabric on the inside.

These folks make their living developing and selling their products to us hunters.....how do they miss details like this.

GunRunner

silvestris

Masks don't prevent Covid.  The virus was designed that way.  Thanks, Fauchi.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

Quote from: silvestris on January 25, 2022, 07:44:58 PM
Masks don't prevent Covid.  The virus was designed that way.  Thanks, Fauchi.
I would have to agree, but in some places I can't get away without wearing one.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Ranger

"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

vthokie7227

This challenge is why I'm a burnt cork guy. Although, I have found the leafy head net that came with my ASAT leafy suit does a great job (I remember where I put it).

dzsmith

I prefer the performance 1/2 mask. Been using one exclusively for about 8-9 years now. Its been one of my faves. It doesnt have too much nose pressure to annoy you. Its not too tight or too loose. I take my hat off , pull my mask up and over my ears and kind up on the back of my head. then i put my hat back on, so it will keep it from inadvertently slipping down. Love it. I have the mesh one as a back up....its ok. i really prefer the other though
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

simpzenith

Quote from: GunRunner on January 25, 2022, 06:09:46 PM
I don't get these leading outdoor products companies producing camo face masks or even the nice camo zip up fleece I got for Christmas that has a camo pattern on outside and white fabric on the inside.

These folks make their living developing and selling their products to us hunters.....how do they miss details like this.

GunRunner

Because they are printed using dye sublimation. It's a cheaper way to print fabric but it has to be printed on polyester. That's why the majority of camo clothing is polyester.