turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Facemask debate

Started by RiverRoost, January 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I'm debating between the Ol Tom mesh half face mask amd their performance half face mask. Anybody use either? Ones all mess and one is a polyester/spandex blend

paboxcall

Tried the Ol' Tom, and I much prefer Cabelas / Bass Pro Redhead-brand spandex half mask. The Ol' Tom went to the bottom of gear bag immediately.

The Bass Pro is mesh, breathable, super lightweight. Camo printed on both sides, so no flashes of white when the wind blows. $12.99, bought a couple just to have a few spares. Has a cinch to fit it comfortably, and a small formable frame for the bridge of your nose, so it stays in place. Great length too, cover your neck if only wearing a t-shirt without a collar.

Best face cover I've tried in decades.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WV Flopper

Funny, I don't like the spandex ones. To tight, hot, and bugs bit right through. I bought 5 of the Quaker boy last spring. More my style, but not for everyone.

Matt76cmich

Sorry I can't help you, I use merino wool neck gaiter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 24, 2022, 07:35:33 PM
Funny, I don't like the spandex ones. To tight, hot, and bugs bit right through. I bought 5 of the Quaker boy last spring. More my style, but not for everyone.

Me too, hate tight fitting face masks. But that Bass Pro half mask isn't tight fitting at all. Quite the opposite.

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Greg Massey

It all depends on the weather, which one's i use, some of those spring mornings can be in the low 30's to low in the 40's .. i have also wore insulated bibs several times during those morning. Same with gloves ... just depends on what i need... toboggan comes in pretty handy also...

310 gauge

I use Nomad Loose Gaiters in Bottomland and Obsession. Works for me hunting Turkeys, Geese, Ducks, or Deer. I pull it over the top of my hat till the only thing you can see is my eyes. Loose and comfortable but still concealable.

Dtrkyman

I never had a mask I liked, switched to a hat with the mask built in and it doesn't touch my face, not perfect but damn good.  Quick camo maybe?

Sixes

I've went through dozens and hated most all of them.

I've used a floppy hat with a built in mask for a few years and liked it, but last year and the last 2 deer seasons, I've been using a First LIte merino Wind Rive balaclava with a hat on my heat and the balaclava pulled over to the brim.

It's more comfy and doesn't take away from my peripheral vision and doesn't feel tight on my face. Same style as a lot of fishermen use that wear a head cover. Having it over the hat helps a ton.

ChesterCopperpot

North Mountain Gear makes a good gaiter. I usually run that or the super cheap Mossy Oak mesh style from Walmart that are about $3 apiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverRoost

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 24, 2022, 09:54:31 PM
North Mountain Gear makes a good gaiter. I usually run that or the super cheap Mossy Oak mesh style from Walmart that are about $3 apiece.

Yeah I was looking at theirs too. Just wondered if any are too tight

ClayR089

Nomad's masks are the best that I've tried. Have an adjustable cord so you can make it the tension of your choosing. I've tried the ol tom and many others, but I've settled on nomad. I let be just tight enough where it's laying on my nose, not pulling it tight.

SwampRooster17

Quote from: RiverRoost on January 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM
I'm debating between the Ol Tom mesh half face mask amd their performance half face mask. Anybody use either? Ones all mess and one is a polyester/spandex blend
Between those 2 I prefer the mesh. It's looser/cooler than the performance mask

RiverRoost

Quote from: SwampRooster17 on January 25, 2022, 08:18:42 AM
Quote from: RiverRoost on January 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM
Between those 2 I prefer the mesh. It's looser/cooler than the performance mask

Thanks that's kinda what I'm thinking too. That or the nomad

troutfisher13111

Anyone recommend a mesh 1/2 mask that's camo on the inside too?