OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Savage 220 Turkey gun.

Started by TN Beard Buster, January 23, 2022, 03:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN Beard Buster

What's up guys? I just recently purchased a brand new Savage 220 to add to my Turkey gun collection! I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who has any experience with this gun. It's got a .565 TruLock choke and I'll be shooting TSS 9's handloads thru it. I may switch to a Jeb's choke as well. I need personal reviews if anyone has them!

rakkin6

Quote from: TN Beard Buster on January 23, 2022, 03:32:17 PM
What's up guys? I just recently purchased a brand new Savage 220 to add to my Turkey gun collection! I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who has any experience with this gun. It's got a .565 TruLock choke and I'll be shooting TSS 9's handloads thru it. I may switch to a Jeb's choke as well. I need personal reviews if anyone has them!
Have a 212, I switched to an Indian Creek .665  choke. And run 3" Apex #9 through it. It shoots great with that setup. More than I care to count in the 10" and 20" at 40 yards. One thing though is do a thorough and I mean thorough deep clean on the barrel. I would recommend some Kroil and JB. Then run whatever solvent you use in it afterwards. I used JB and Kroil then some bore tech shotgun solvent after dry patching. My 212 barrel was dirty straight out of the box..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Shoreguy

I got the savage 220 turkey last year and with the Indian creek .555 and handload 1 5/8 ounce 9's I got 268 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  I didn't shoot the factory choke but I think I might try it this year just to see how it performs.  That was the only Indian creek available last year so that's what I used.

PEPPERHEAD

I have one. Love it. I also shoot a IC .555 and #9 Apex TSS. I highly recommend giving it a good cleaning. Mine was beyond filthy. It took some major scrubbing. I then smoothed it with some 000 steel wool. It made a huge difference in the pattern. Good luck.

Spitten and drummen

Most any choke including factory ones tend to pattern well with TSS. I have a Benelli , win ssx3 and a Retay and I tried several chokes and all of them have a Sumtoy. I like a 570. Throws a nice even hunting pattern way out there. Again try what you have first and you very well may be surprised.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Rapscallion Vermilion

I've had one for a few years now.  Totally pleased with it. I'm very satisfied with the patterns from an Indian Creek .575.  Those Savage 220s are overbored, so you might find that you need less choke than a standard bore to get the patterns you want. 

Shoreguy

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 24, 2022, 07:24:38 PM
I've had one for a few years now.  Totally pleased with it. I'm very satisfied with the patterns from an Indian Creek .575.  Those Savage 220s are overbored, so you might find that you need less choke than a standard bore to get the patterns you want.

What kind of numbers are you getting out of the IC .575?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Shoreguy on January 24, 2022, 07:48:14 PM

Averaging about 320 in the 10" with 1 5/8 oz TSS #9 handloads.  That's at 6000' elevation. 

Tom007

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on January 25, 2022, 01:04:21 AM
Quote from: Shoreguy on January 24, 2022, 07:48:14 PM

Averaging about 320 in the 10" with 1 5/8 oz TSS #9 handloads.  That's at 6000' elevation.

Wow, fantastic....