OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for 1st Trumpet.....Who?

Started by RED NECK, January 16, 2022, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I think I'd start with that ash/walnut. Congrats again. Real cool of him he give you that other call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

-Cherry Walnut Maple Paduk Ash

is the one I have been messing with here for a bit and I have made my first sounds, I'll mess with the one that you suggested later and I'll decide on which one I find easier to make a decent sound and stick with it, and hide the rest. I made some decent sounding turkey sounds so far, but I also made some real bad ones too.It has been a blast so far,I am always up for learning something new.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

Thanks, as soon as I put the Ash Walnut in and tried it, It was easier and I am making pretty good sounds on it,I also tried the others and the other one I found to make sounds easy(ier) is the cherry trumpet.

I will stick to the Ash walnut and practice. I have had the "that sounds like chit, to what is that?, and then, that sounds pretty good" all within the last 15 minutes. They have no idea what the next few months are about to become for them. :turkey2:

ChesterCopperpot

Watch this video of Marlin Watkins and listen to every word he says. Then watch the second video. Then watch the third. Then watch them again and again and again trying to do everything he's telling you to do. Glad you're having fun with it.

https://youtu.be/momZ825uunU

RED NECK

Thanks,I am about played out on it tonight but I'm going to throw those videos  on now to watch.

tal

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 20, 2022, 07:10:48 PM
Watch this video of Marlin Watkins and listen to every word he says. Then watch the second video. Then watch the third. Then watch them again and again and again trying to do everything he's telling you to do. Glad you're having fun with it.

https://youtu.be/momZ825uunU

Then cuss, then keep repeating the above..

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: tal on January 20, 2022, 08:32:28 PM
Then cuss, then keep repeating the above..
I mostly do cussing

RED NECK

I have already had two doors closed harshly the last few minutes while getting in a little more time with the trumpet....geesh. I enjoy learning, I always love a new challenge. If the doors keep being shut I may just be up for 5am this weekend, and instead of getting ready for fishing or hunting. I may just take another lesson.

tnanh

Daryal Gosey(ncbowjunkie) has some listed in the classifieds. His Are easy to play and sound very good especially for what he charges.

EZ

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 20, 2022, 09:53:19 PM
I have already had two doors closed harshly the last few minutes while getting in a little more time with the trumpet....geesh. I enjoy learning, I always love a new challenge. If the doors keep being shut I may just be up for 5am this weekend, and instead of getting ready for fishing or hunting. I may just take another lesson.

Tip:

Just keep practicing and running calls. It may take years, but I swear, it takes a longbox in the kitchen for my wife to even look up.....and even then, I have to really be getting carried away.  :icon_thumright:

gergg

Quote from: EZ on January 21, 2022, 06:02:48 AM

Tip:

Just keep practicing and running calls. It may take years, but I swear, it takes a longbox in the kitchen for my wife to even look up.....and even then, I have to really be getting carried away.  :icon_thumright:
Lol....So true, my wife doesn't even pay attention to me any more, I practice constantly in the house....although, she did tell me the other day that the violin/fiddle I play sounds better than my trumpets  :TooFunny:
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

ChesterCopperpot

One of my best friends owns a gun shop and shoots all the time. He used to bait and kill a pile of coyotes, like close to a hundred one year. I knew he did it right by the house so I asked him where he set up. He said, "I just shoot them out the kitchen window." His wife was standing there and I said, "That don't bother you? Ain't you sleeping?" She said, "Yeah, hon, I just sleep right through it. After all these years don't nothing wake me up anymore."

RED NECK

Quote from: gergg on January 21, 2022, 06:58:39 AM

Tip:

Lol....So true, my wife doesn't even pay attention to me any more, I practice constantly in the house....although, she did tell me the other day that the violin/fiddle I play sounds better than my trumpets  :TooFunny:
I had a fiddle in my late 20's but I may love music, I was never great at making it with an instrument. The fiddle is my favorite instrument to listen too.

gergg

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 21, 2022, 09:29:57 AM
Quote from: gergg on January 21, 2022, 06:58:39 AM

Tip:

I had a fiddle in my late 20's but I may love music, I was never great at making it with an instrument. The fiddle is my favorite instrument to listen too.
I hear ya, I am a crappy musician, but love playing anyway. I used to build and play(poorly)acoustic guitars, but always wanted to build/play violins/fiddles, so I am on that journey now. They are my favorite instrument to listen to as well, although the Cello sound is amazing to me too and I want to build one also....oh boy....lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

RED NECK

That is a great hobby,

I like the fiddle,bag pipes and steel guitar.

I played the bass guitar in my teenage years a bit, I thought we maybe were going to be a death metal band but quickly realized we were just 5 buddies,4 who couldn't play at all there holding one buddy down who was a great guitar player. It sure was fun to mess around though.

Here is what I have been working on the last few days, I can't wait.