OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Legislation to change Wis spring turkey season!

Started by Paulmyr, January 11, 2022, 05:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadow Valley Man

In my original post regarding the pending Wisconsin Turkey season legislation, I referred to Luke Hilgeman OF HUNTER NATION once and HUNTER NATION twice.  It appears my post has been altered to remove the NATION word in all three references.  I have tried to modify my post to reinsert NATION but the format isn't letting me.

I don't believe I omitted the word NATION three times when I wrote the original post. But, never say never.

Anyway, it is HUNTER NATION that is pushing this legislation. And in this case, HUNTER NATION is doing anyone who hunts turkeys in Wisconsin a disservice.

Meadow Valley Man

I'll try again.  Is the word nation not allowed on this forum?

GobbleNut

Quote from: Meadow Valley Man on January 26, 2022, 10:27:12 AM
I'll try again.  Is the word  not allowed on this forum?

Yeah, for some reason nat-ion comes up as a unallowed word on this forum.  I found that out several years ago on some posts.  I suspect it is just an error in the system.  Can't see why it would not be allowed...

Treerooster

I believe it was Hunter Nat-ion the forced the Wisconsin wolf hunt last February. How did that work out for the future wolf hunt this year?...2021/2022 wolf hunt canceled.

I went to their site and looked at some of the laws they want. These guys have some strange things they want done.

Here is just one example.

DNR Regulation Simplification Bill
Sponsored by Sen. Duey Stroebel and Rep. Calvin Callahan

This bill would require the DNR to eliminate three rules every time they propose adding another rule.

How does that make any sense?

Wisgobbler

I guess I'll just wait and see how this shapes up. I hunt public ground and already I've seen a huge increase in hunting pressure over the last couple of seasons.  I think what I'd really like to see is a maximum of two tags per hunter and a moratorium on  shooting bearded hens.

simpzenith

In a recent F&S article (https://www.fieldandstream.com/conservation/declining-turkey-populations), I read this regarding the proposed changes in Wisconsin.

"Conversely, other states deal with calls for season structure changes when they might not be appropriate. Alaina Gerrits, a former assistant upland wildlife ecologist with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, said that the state recently faced a push to condense zones, start the season earlier and eliminate time periods (the state's six-week season is broken into six one-week segments to distribute hunting pressure and harvest). And that, she said, would have been a mistake."

The way it is worded seems to imply that the proposal is no longer on the table. I'm assuming she is referring to the same proposal that we're discussing here. Anyone heard any news on this?

Ches.

I don't like what I read. We currently have 6 periods which spreads the hunter out. If you look at left over tags, the first few periods are always gone and the later ones still available.  Too many guys would hunt the first week of each period. Sure, would I like one big period if I was the only guy hunting an area, but that's not going to happen with our pressure. I also have read the comments about out of state hunting (fishing) license costs. I agree, we give them away and they have the same priority as a resident. Other states don't do this, why should we. I am tied of out of state guys getting extra doe tags and I live here and sometimes can't.
Ches.

simpzenith

Quote from: Ches. on February 06, 2022, 12:00:33 PM
...and they have the same priority as a resident.

Wisconsin does gives priority to residents. I believe the order is resident landowner, resident, non-resident landowner then non-resident.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Ches. on February 06, 2022, 12:00:33 PM
I don't like what I read. We currently have 6 periods which spreads the hunter out. If you look at left over tags, the first few periods are always gone and the later ones still available.  Too many guys would hunt the first week of each period. Sure, would I like one big period if I was the only guy hunting an area, but that's not going to happen with our pressure. I also have read the comments about out of state hunting (fishing) license costs. I agree, we give them away and they have the same priority as a resident. Other states don't do this, why should we. I am tied of out of state guys getting extra doe tags and I live here and sometimes can't.
Ches.

Non residents pay over 3 times as much a res hunters to shoot 1 bird for 1 week time period. Pretty comparable too other destination states. Problems being those destination states don't limit you to 1 bird and you can hunt the entire season. Well, used to be you could hunt the entire season. Still much longer than a one week period.

Apparently there's a big uproar because a you tuber came in there and bought multiple tags through out the state. They cover non res hunters in a blanket and say "your shooting all our birds!". No, not really. Can a NR hunter purchase more than one left over tag for the same time period. Sure can. Do they? Most likely not considering the state wide success rate was 16.9% last year.

The Wis DNR has a pretty good grasp on it's turkey population and allocate tags accordingly. They spread the pressure out by having one week time periods. There are left over tags available quite frankly because Residents didn't want them. These tags are offered within the safe harvest framework provided by the state. You'd rather them tags go unused instead of a NR hunter paying $5 more than a Res for one. Sounds to me like the mine, mine, mine, go get your own mentality of most Res hunters instead of anything to to do with safe management practices.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Anyone with any updates? Listened to The Turkey Hunter podcast the other day with the Wis state biologist as guest. Kudos to Cameron Wedderling (a forum member). I think him and Andy do a fantastic job of highlighting issues related to Wild Turkey's and have excellent guest.

Apparently the state biologist is vehemently opposed to the new proposal. She feels Wis has the gold standard in Wild Turkey season management.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

bigriverbum

i talked to MK M GOBL from the board a few weeks ago and he said these proposals are shot down for now

Spurs

Quote from: bigriverbum on February 19, 2022, 06:49:29 PM
i talked to MK M GOBL from the board a few weeks ago and he said these proposals are shot down for now

Let's hope so.  I wish more states would follow suit.  I worked up there for 2 years...Pipeline's Life ;D By far the best system out there to track hunting pressure and monitor harvest rates for given time periods.

Also, if you've hunted WI much, you know there are plenty of birds.  I don't see why they'd want to change an already very liberal season.
This year is going to suck!!!