turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

hawaii March'22

Started by kdc0824, December 21, 2021, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdc0824

I will be traveling to the big island with my family March 15 and would like to try and hunt a turkey while I am there.  I am mainly looking for diy info if anyone would be willing to share as there is very little info to be found other than the Parker ranch and a couple of other private ranch options.  I'm not totally opposed to that but I doubt that anyone would have any availability at this point anyway.

Keith
Keith

GobbleNut

Here are a few thoughts based on my one and only time hunting the big island several years ago:

Although there is a lot of public land on the big island, unless things have changed in the last few years, there are only a few of those areas that are open to turkey hunting.  Most of the public areas do not allow turkey hunting.  You would be wise to thoroughly research the turkey hunting there to make sure you understand where those areas are and the rules and regulations that apply to them. 

Unless they have clarified the licensing requirements and perhaps changed things, be aware that you will have to go to one (of only two...one in Hilo and one in Waimea) of the wildlife department offices to obtain carcass tags prior to hunting...and those offices have limited hours.  You can buy your general hunting license online, I believe, but you have to go to one of the offices to buy carcass tags.  Again, this is the way things were several years ago...not certain if they may have changed things at this point.

There are also some pretty strict regulations regarding firearms and the need to register them "in person" prior to hunting.  Research that as well. 

A final recommendation: make sure you get a rental vehicle that has high clearance, preferably four-wheel-drive, and has a good spare tire.  Getting around in that lava-invested country can get pretty ugly at times. 

Again, do your due diligence in researching hunting there. They don't go out of their way to make things clear, or easy, for hunters.  :icon_thumright:

Tail Feathers

I haven't been and can't help on the public land question, but a friend went and said it can be very cold up on the mountains.  Just because it's Hawaii, don't be fooled.  Take some clothing for cold, wet weather.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Tail Feathers on December 22, 2021, 11:16:02 AM
I haven't been and can't help on the public land question, but a friend went and said it can be very cold up on the mountains.  Just because it's Hawaii, don't be fooled.  Take some clothing for cold, wet weather.

Great point.  Yes, take clothing for all kinds of weather possibilities.  Remember, the altitude on the big island goes from sea level to almost 14,000 ft. in a span of about thirty miles.  That is quite an ascent.  You may be hunting in country that is quite a bit steeper and very likely more rugged than anticipated.  ...And take good hiking boots....that lava will eat you up! 

bbcoach

kdc, if you will type in Hawaii Turkeys in the search above, you will get some previous posts about Hawaii.  Here is one http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,87113.msg846669/topicseen.html#msg846669

Several guys on this site have been there before and if you PM them they would probably give you some great info.  Good Luck!  Traveling to hunt is always a Great Adventure.

Welcome to OG!!