turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

EGW vs Sumtoy Stevens 301 base

Started by Jordan121787, December 12, 2021, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan121787

I picked up a Stevens 301 turkey in  .410. With the stock rail and a Bushnell  RXS-100 mounted it sits uncomfortably high. I've looked at Sumtoys base which seems to be the lowest, but I've seen a lot of people recommend EGW base. From the pictures I've seen online with the EGW base, it looks to sit about the same height as stock. Is that true? Anyone had both and recommend one over the other?

gatrapper

Thanks for making this post! I'm in the same boat and I'm interested in hearing what folks say.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Justinbowhunter

I cant speak for the EGW base, but I do have the Sumtoy base on my 301 with a Vortex Venom. I don't have any complaints with it.

va_gobbler_chaser

EGW sit way lower than stock because the stock rail is very tall plus to use red dot it you have to use base mount then the sight. Egw sits I think 1/8" high than sumtoy. I have both sumtoy and egw and no issues with either.

Jordan121787

Quote from: va_gobbler_chaser on December 17, 2021, 05:09:05 PM
EGW sit way lower than stock because the stock rail is very tall plus to use red dot it you have to use base mount then the sight. Egw sits I think 1/8" high than sumtoy. I have both sumtoy and egw and no issues with either.

Which one would you pick to put on a new gun?

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: Jordan121787 on December 17, 2021, 10:18:50 PM
Quote from: va_gobbler_chaser on December 17, 2021, 05:09:05 PM

Which one would you pick to put on a new gun?
Was a definitive answer ever given on the preference of the two? Things like this are hard to decide without seeing it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btomlin

I have the sumtoy on mine.  No complaints.  I would guess that the majority here are running the sumtoy. 

blake_08

I have the EGW, my buddy has the sumtoy. Same guns as yours except 20 gauge. They are almost the same height, but the EGW's extra 1/8" of height gives more threads to mount your sight to. My buddy's sumtoy stripped (used a torque screw driver to specs). Sumtoy sent him another free of charge, but there's not a lot of meat there to screw into. I'm pleased with the EGW.