OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WYOMING PUBLIC LAND ACCESS

Started by WW, December 06, 2021, 12:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I have a question about the acreage of public land in Northeast Wyoming. Anyone with knowledge on this area please pm me and I'll respond with a question or two. I'm trying to line up a hunt for my daughter and I.

Thanks!

eggshell

WW

JohnSouth22

I hunted there last spring. PM me I'm not good at working this website can't figure out how to send you one

joey46

Been looking at WY for a while.  All I need to do some serious web scouting.  The BLM land showing up is a nice touch.  Good luck.  I would have gone last year but the rental cars from the closest airport were over $200 a day.  EEK!
Big book I got off Amazon.  Be sure an order the 2020 version.  NF map through a the government site I believe. 

joey46

Since this just got me looking again I've found the rental car prices at Rapid City SD still stink during early May.  Early May is when I'd try for a western hunt in N/E WY.  I'm getting too old for another deal breaker.   Still looking but know I won't do a 2100 mile drive each way from S/W Florida.  What a dilemma - LOL.

Crghss

Quote from: joey46 on December 07, 2021, 04:27:34 PM
Since this just got me looking again I've found the rental car prices at Rapid City SD still stink during early May.  Early May is when I'd try for a western hunt in N/E WY.  I'm getting too old for another deal breaker.   Still looking but know I won't do a 2100 mile drive each way from S/W Florida.  What a dilemma - LOL.

Fly to Denver and drive. Cheaper flight and car rental. Plus you can probably get a direct flight to Denver. 
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

joey46

Denver was my first option since I have enough "miles" on SW Air to fly around the world.  Rental cars last spring in Denver were almost as bad $$ as Rapid City and the only way to get around them was to rent a cargo van.  I only use Rapid City as an example since that's where so many tend to gravitate for these Black Hills hunts.  At this minute flying into Bozeman MT is a viable option.  SW Air has direct flights from Tampa to Bozeman. About the same distance to the Hulett WY area and appears to be a more interesting drive.  My gut feeling is that checking my gun in at Bozeman for the return flight may be a little more hassle free than Denver since Colorado is now becoming more and more a "blue" state.  Always a consideration and I've flown with my turkey guns for more than 20 years without a problem but always on SW Air.  Good luck.

eggshell

Quote from: joey46 on December 09, 2021, 09:22:24 AM
Denver was my first option since I have enough "miles" on SW Air to fly around the world.  Rental cars last spring in Denver were almost as bad $$ as Rapid City and the only way to get around them was to rent a cargo van.  I only use Rapid City as an example since that's where so many tend to gravitate for these Black Hills hunts.  At this minute flying into Bozeman MT is a viable option.  SW Air has direct flights from Tampa to Bozeman. About the same distance to the Hulett WY area and appears to be a more interesting drive.  My gut feeling is that checking my gun in at Bozeman for the return flight may be a little more hassle free than Denver since Colorado is now becoming more and more a "blue" state.  Always a consideration and I've flown with my turkey guns for more than 20 years without a problem but always on SW Air.  Good luck.

You can run into a troublesome TSA agent anywhere. Our biggest hassle ever was at Oklahoma City airport.

WW

I'll definitely be flying in to Rapid City. I want to take my daughter to see Mt. Rushmore and the badlands, then we'll be off to Wyoming.

joey46

I just looked at the one week rental car rates at RAP.  They seem to have dropped to pre-covid rates for a sample week of  4/30 - 5/6.  If you know exactly when you're going consider locking the rate in now.  Last spring they went truly crazy with $200 + per day not uncommon.  They seemed to have fluctuated greatly over the last two days.  $200 a day was a deal breaker for us last May.  Good luck.   

eggshell

Quote from: WW on December 09, 2021, 09:54:36 AM
I'll definitely be flying in to Rapid City. I want to take my daughter to see Mt. Rushmore and the badlands, then we'll be off to Wyoming.

The bad lands are east an hr or so, but a good visit. Lots to see. If your around Hot Springs, the mammouth site is a good visit. Devil's tower is a stop in Wyoming as well. There's turkeys around the tower too if you can find access.

WV Flopper

Eggshell, that's funny. Why, the most trouble I had in an airport was Jackson Wyoming! By far! Wished I would have had a pass port and birth certificate.

Return trip to Dulles, the gun was going around the oversized baggage carousel..

joey46

Quote from: WV Flopper on December 09, 2021, 07:06:20 PM
Eggshell, that's funny. Why, the most trouble I had in an airport was Jackson Wyoming! By far! Wished I would have had a pass port and birth certificate.

Return trip to Dulles, the gun was going around the oversized baggage carousel..

Bet at the time you had the "old style" driver's license that have now been, or are being, replaced.   A good tip for anyone that hasn't yet had to replace their driver's license with one that should show a star and USA in the upper right hand corner.  You may have a problem in many airports, even without a gun,  without additional ID. 

eggshell

Our problem was with how my buddy packed his ammo. I had mine in a box in my checked luggage. He had his in a  cloth/leather shell holder with loops. The TSA agent said it had to be a box. The #$@$ TSA agent just wanted to show he was some form of God in that airport. He was spouting out crap like we'll cuff you and haul you away. Thank God a local cop stepped in and defused it. The cop told the TSA he'd take care of us and go back to screening. Then he politely told Us he would allow us to get a box and pack them or he could confiscate them. It was 10 shells so my buddy told him keep them. He handed my buddy his shell holder and told us, "go get on your plane". He said the TSA guy was just a young punk, very nice fella.