OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting Hens???

Started by bbcoach, November 11, 2021, 07:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I'm a firm believer that killing a hen is killing the future and do not take them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

GOOD feedback Guys!  As I stated, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but wanted to get some others' opinions on this subject.  As I get older, my perspective about hunting and resources has definitely changed.  Twenty years ago, my perspective was if the state says it's legal, have at it.  Most biologist will tell you if you want to increase populations, you don't target the female of species and if you want to decrease or maintain the population you target the females.  In eastern NC, where I'm from, we are seeing more and more turkeys where 10 years ago we didn't have any sightings before (only spring season / 2 bearded birds per).  Our doe deer population is booming so the wildlife commission has changed our tags from 4 buck tags and 2 doe tags to 2 buck tags and 4 doe tags.  I can definitely say the buck antler size has increased over the past several years and sightings are up but can't tell about the doe population since it takes longer to change a mindset of not killing does of us old farts.  With only 2 buck tags, it definitely makes you take a second look at a deer to see if he is mature before pulling that trigger knowing you only have 2 tags for a 2 1/2 month long gun season.  Great opinions, keep them coming!

Gentry

My opinion is that hens should not be shot ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I have never hunted turkeys in the fall, we don't have a fall season here.  I see a lot of fall hunt pics where they hunter takes gobblers.  I think that's generally best, and if I had populations concerns about my hunting area I would definitely go that route.  If a fall hen is legal and you want one, go for it.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

EZ

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 12, 2021, 06:06:23 AM
I'm a firm believer that killing a hen is killing the future and do not take them.

I heard you don't take gobblers either  ;D

Sir-diealot

Quote from: EZ on November 12, 2021, 08:23:55 PM

I heard you don't take gobblers either  ;D
I leave the Republican ones to vote.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Zobo

As a personal rule I don't intentionally shoot hens. I live in a part of the country where the turkey population is thriving so there's no need or temptation for me. Plus, I've been turkey hunting for long enough that my enjoyment of this glorious activity is not kill based. I know many of you reading this agree with me on this point.
     However, I don't blame someone who hunts very long and hard and legally shoots a hen. Being successful in some areas can be very difficult. Younger hunters in particular need to realize some form of success in order to develop and maintain interest in turkey hunting.  They haven't had the level of success that many of us have.
    If you don't want hens shot for conservation reasons make it illegal. I don't think its smart to try to impose a guilt-based form of self policing. It sends young people mixed messages.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

crow

Is it even possible to shoot down a corn filled trench with out hitting a hen or 2

eggshell

here is an example - Yesterday I took a friend fall hunting and he specifically stated he preferred killing a gobbler. I have hunted this area for years and this fall (I took a fall gobbler this year) and I have a reasonable idea of how many birds are using the area. We got into the hen and poult flock and we counted 34 birds, from what we could tell all of them were hens and Jennys. Young of year jakes have usually seperated from the flock by now. I have accounted for one group of 6-8 YOY Jakes and about 10 mature gobblers in this area. My friend decided he would take a hen, but alas he missed the shot. I have one other friend that will hunt this spot with me and he is willing to take a hen.

Considering the above information, whch is more detrimental to this flock; killing another gobbler or taking out one hen of a flock of 34 ? I doubt either would matter. Say my friend today killed a hen and my other friend kills one, would reducing this hen flock by two really create a decline in this flock? I habe watched this area for 50 years and the flock for the last 30+ has held pretty steady at a 50 bird carring capacity. We have harvested both gobblers and hens from it and I have never seen the numbers change much at all. Again, if the food and habitat is there the birds are there, barring any catostrophic events. Now if someone started really dogging these birds they may hurt them some, but turkeys are pretty good at surviving.

I appreciate the concern for our turkeys and I am not trying to pooh pooh anyone or be inconsiderate to anyones philosophy. I am only saying I think the science supports hharvesting of a few hens is sound management.

I personally target gobblers in the fall, but I have shot hens and probably will again.

EZ

The way I look at it, the state game agencies set seasons and bag limits with ALL factors in mind. They are the professionals and you'll be reminded of that if you ever have any "suggestions" for them.

I say, shoot what ya want if it's legal. For me, rather than worry what sex of turkey I shoot, I buy a "Fur-taker's License" and trap and shoot as many predators and nest raiders as I possibly can.

eggshell

Quote from: EZ on November 13, 2021, 06:15:00 AM
The way I look at it, the state game agencies set seasons and bag limits with ALL factors in mind. They are the professionals and you'll be reminded of that if you ever have any "suggestions" for them.

I say, shoot what ya want if it's legal. For me, rather than worry what sex of turkey I shoot, I buy a "Fur-taker's License" and trap and shoot as many predators and nest raiders as I possibly can.

I like your thinking on this. LOL, As a former agency professional I apologize for some of my old and current co-workers attitudes. Some were certainly self absorbed and thought too highly of themselves. Many of us did realize we were only servants to the sportsmen and women of our state.  It goes both ways though, I have been called every form of human being you can think of by the public and I have heard suggestions that were equally as ludicrous. Yet for the most part sportsmen for the most part were supportive and often had very good input. I never turned any visitors from our facility and we regularly engaged the public. Just FYI, I was in fisheries ( I managed a fish Hatchery) not game mngt., but we often helped the game guys.

GobbleNut

Quote from: EZ on November 13, 2021, 06:15:00 AM
...the state game agencies set seasons and bag limits with ALL factors in mind. They are the professionals and you'll be reminded of that if you ever have any "suggestions" for them.

...Getting off topic a bit here, but this statement is worth further consideration...

It is a very true statement, and it says much about wildlife management across the country for most species.  There are too many factors influencing the decision making processes that are contrary to what is best for the resource being managed.  Those "professionals" are too often constrained by those "human" elements of money, politics, and emotion.  Even if they wanted to consider those "suggestions" made from folks outside the agency (which some do and some don't), their perspective has been clouded, as well as jaded, by having to deal with those human elements day after day.  Having dealt with it for about 50 years now, I can tell you there is plenty of frustration on both sides of the coin.   >:( :(

quavers59

Some Southren States that do not allow Fall Hunting STILL have a declining  Turkey Population.
    Perhaps too many Gobblers are being Killed .

Magdump

Same here.

Its not like we have an over abundance of turkeys. 

I recall seeing a thread recently about a fellow who shot a fall hen.  He was actually proud of it and was apparently seeking praise for the "achievement."

It's legal to do so so go for it, but oh my God I would be entirely embarrassed to admit that I shot a hen. It's just too easy. And it does not help the turkey population at all.

Just my opinion.

eggshell

Quote from: Magdump on November 15, 2021, 06:52:20 AM

Same here.

Its not like we have an over abundance of turkeys. 

I recall seeing a thread recently about a fellow who shot a fall hen.  He was actually proud of it and was apparently seeking praise for the "achievement."

It's legal to do so so go for it, but oh my God I would be entirely embarrassed to admit that I shot a hen. It's just too easy. And it does not help the turkey population at all.

Just my opinion.

Things that make you go Hmmmm

The first question that popped in my head was, how much fall turkey hunting have you done? I have had some very fun days exchanging calls with hens. I have not seen the, "it's way to easy to kill them".  Like you said, it's just an opinion. If the guy was pround of his hen, I would not pee on his parade. You can easily spend hours working to call in a hen flock. I personally target fall gobblers, but I have and probably will shoot hens again. Killing gobblers also reduces the flock, that is why my state just reduced our spring limit to one gobbler and left the fall season alone. Of course I think that is bunk, but that was their reasoning, killing too many gobblers

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and please don't be offended by me sharing mine, it's all part of an open discussion meant to inspire thought.