OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cold weather hunting gloves recommendation

Started by Boykin Hollow, November 03, 2021, 12:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boykin Hollow

I figure many of you turkey hunters are out chasing whitetail deer now and I would like some recommendations for cold weather hunting gloves.  I am tired of cold hands and fingers and want to pull the trigger on a warm pair without paying $150 for a pair of Sitka or Kuiu gloves.  I feel I can get a good pair for around $100 bucks.  Any recommendations is appreciated.  If I have to pay $150 then so be it what is an extra $50 bucks for warm hands in a deer stand.

grayfox

I've always had the best luck with the cut off finger tips with fold over mitts. Something like the these.

lacire

I do use the Sitka gloves but I bought mine on sale so didn't pay anywhere near $150.00. I use the Sitka  Coldfront GTX that I paid $46.00 for and then bought a pair of the Sitka Traverse I think for $30.00. Sitting in a blind I use the Coldfront's into the high 40's but after about an hour and a half my fingers will start to get cold. I use the Traverse as a glove liner for the Coldfront's and for me this has been a good combination. With the two pairs of gloves I can use the Traverse or the Coldfront's by themselves or together giving me three combinations as the temperature changes. You can buy any brand I just like Sitka, the two glove combination works for me.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tail Feathers

We don't have much real cold weather, but what grayfox posted works very well for deer hunting.  I've had a couple of pair but don't currently.  But then, I only wear them four or five days per year.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Sir-diealot

I live in NY and it can get pretty cold here, I have had frostbite on my hands and feet so good gloves for my hands are a must because my hands do not get cold, they go straight to pain instead. I agree with Grayfox with the type of gloves he shows, if you are luckier than me and can wear wool go that way, if you are like me and can't wear wool then good with a nice pair of fleece gloves in the style shown. If you really want to spend some money you can buy some electric gloves. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on gloves to stay warm.

Also if you have adjustable wrists on your jacket or gloves do not make the mistake so many do by over tightening them cutting off the blood circulations and then causing the cold hands yourself. Sometimes I will put a hotpack in my jacket midway down my forearm, that also helps.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

eddie234

I use a hand muff with a couple hot pack thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoder409

It's routinely below zero during our flintlock season.

I use the same lightweight Under Armor gloves I wear in spring turkey season inside a pair of the military wool glove liners or a pair of Thinsulate glove/mitts.

The muff is a great idea as are handwarmer packs.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I can't stand bulky gloves. Anymore its a pair of Mechanix camo gloves and a hand warmers in my pocket. Or some other lightweight glove. Most have the trigger fingers cut out

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eddie234 on November 05, 2021, 12:56:11 PM
I use a hand muff with a couple hot pack thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I prefer this myself most of the time, but not always as sometimes you need both if sitting for a while.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

bdirks

It gets cold here in Iowa. I use a couple set-ups to keep my hands warm. First, I have multiple pairs of reasonably cheap Hot Shot camo glommits. They are cheap and surprisingly very warm in really cold conditions. I also like to use a hand muff with either Hot Hands or a Zippo hand warmer.

Greg Massey

I use a heater and pair of those jersey gloves ... LOL...

shatcher

I remember reading years ago that a cheap pair of mittens (wool) are better than a good pair of gloves.  Been using the wool military liner mittens ever since.

trkehunr93

Glo-mitts, the best thing ever invented.  I've used them for 20+ years, you can stick a hand warmer in the mitt when it's real cold and it's like wearing an oven on your hands.

Sir-diealot

John Koenig:

Tom007

X2 on the fingerless  with the mitt that covers them. Cabelas makes a great pair of fingerless, with the mitt cover. Works great....
"Solo hunter"