OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which Choke for a Benelli Super Nova?

Started by MS, June 02, 2011, 11:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS

I just got a Super Nova, 24" barrel.  I shoot TSS #8 and Hevi-Shot #7, both hand loads.  I want a choke or chokes that will throw tight, long range patterns from these shells, as I hunt a lot of fields and open ground.  I know over-choking can blow patterns, so finding that "sweet spot" is what I (and probably most everyone else) am after.  I have a Jellyhead .665 and Rhino .660 from my old Nova.  Any specific recommendations for these two shells through a Super Nova with a 24" barrel?  

I have the Rhino and Jellyhead chokes, so I'm considering:

Trulock extended, ported .40 constriction (equal to .685) for the TSS
Trulock extended, ported .65 constriction (equal to .660) for the H-S
Briley Spectrum ported .35 constriction (equal to .690) for TSS
Briley Spectrum ported .40 constriction (equal to .685) for H-S
Pure Gold .670
Sumtoy ?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Turkasaurus

As said on the other thread, my Benelli Nova with a .655 Tightwad choke puts up to 275 in 10" at 40yds with Hevi-13 7's.  I would sample a .655 and a .660 for those 2 handloads. My shooting was done in Spring like conditions averaging around 60 degrees and 55% humidity.

I  plan to expeirment with the Nova and my .655, a .660 and a .665 for next season with the H-13 7's.

Please keep us updated.
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

allaboutshooting

I shoot several Benelli shotguns, a Nova, SBE and a Vinci currently with 24", 26" and 28" barrels and chokes in the .640 - .655 range always work best with those guns for me. It's not all about the e.d. or course, it's mainly the internal geometry that makes a difference. The chokes that have given me the best patterns are the Wright's #3, SSX and now the Hevi-13 turkey choke. All do a good job, throwing dense even patterns at 40 yards, without baseball sized patterns at 20 yards.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mmusso

I'm shooting TSS 9s with my Nova.
Avg. 300 with Sumtoy .685

I also have a .694 that I hope to shoot this weekend.

Shoot William(SumToy) a pm. He'll work with you to get you the pattern you're looking for...