turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trail camera SD card help

Started by Iaguntrader, October 22, 2021, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iaguntrader

I was muzzleloader hunting this morning and went to check a trail camera I have in the area. Someone had shot the trail camera several times with what I think was a .22. The card is slightly damaged but will still go into a card reader. No holes in the card. However it wants me to format the card, a Google search shows that formatting will delete all data. I'm really hoping this person is on the camera, and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to pull the data from the card. I didn't format it, when it asked, but can't access the data.

Any ideas on what to try to access any of the data?

I use one section of a climbing stick to put my cameras about 8 feet up so I'm guessing that is why they shot it and didn't steal it.

Southerngobbler

I used Stellar phonix photo recovery to view an Sd card that I couldn't otherwise view. You can probably find a free app that will let you do that but the last time I tried to use Phonix they wanted me to pay for a subscription. You might have to pay for a subscription, if I remember right it was only $20 and there's no guarantee the data will be recoverable. I've done it a few times and it always worked, if I remember correctly a subscription last for a year. I have been told that if your computer savvy enough you can probable find a free app.

Sir-diealot

I think if you take it to a photo shop or maybe a computer shop they MAY be able to pull the pictures for you. I have heard of it being done but do not know much about it. I know with one of my camera cards if anything ever happens to it I can send to to the manufacture and they will try to recover it for free. I think it is through Sandisk but may be Samsung as I have cards from both. Hope you can nail the piece of trash.

Edit:
I added your question on a sight full of technically inclined folk, hoping to get a answer for you from one of them. If I get replies I will link you the thread.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Does not sound good for doing with Windows itself, but it may be possible with a data recovery program. here is link to what they are saying, all these people are very much techniquly inclined. (How come they let me stay I will never understand) https://www.gamingtribe.com/status/13194142524446/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Iaguntrader

Thanks! I'll take a look and see if it helps. I appreciate you doing that.

Edit: Had to join the website and had to send a Steven S a friend request. I assume that is what it takes to view the thread.

Sir-diealot

This was one comment with picture, hope it helps.

"I have used this feature before and have repaired a jumpdrive before so I wouldnt lose the images on it. This is built in. Just had to go into File Explorer and look for the USB drive folder, then right click on it and hit properties. It's under Tools. It's not comprehensive like recovery software but it's something I would try before going that route right away. — 3 hours ago"

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Iaguntrader on October 22, 2021, 07:56:46 PM
Thanks! I'll take a look and see if it helps. I appreciate you doing that.

Edit: Had to join the website and had to send a Steven S a friend request. I assume that is what it takes to view the thread.
Oh sorry, I did not realize that. Yes I just accepted your friend request. It is that my profile is set to private or you would have been able to see it right off.

John Koenig:

BHMTitan

Search for "recuva", its a free recovery software.  I've used it several times to recover deleted files.  But if the card is asking you to format, it may be too late for recovery.

jhoward11

Formatting will erase the card. So if it's asking if you want to format, you may still have it? That's how I erase my cards with an SD card reader. With computer I just delete. Have you tried looking at it through the laptop? Most laptops have a slot to install SD card. Some newer do not.

guesswho

I had one like that one time.   Computer wouldn't read it.   I had it with me one day in Walmart and put it in their machine where you can print pictures and it read the card.   May not work in your case but might be worth a try. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff