turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Call Collection

Started by Greg Massey, October 19, 2021, 11:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Has anyone ever checked into insuring your call collection ? 

HookedonHooks

Personal property floater. Some companies can have separate floaters to show you exactly how much those various groups of items are costing extra to insure, some lump it all into one private property coverage sum. Usually gun floaters are separate, but the calls would fall in line with art, jewelry, and collectibles.

Tom007

Never thought of that, good idea Greg.....
"Solo hunter"

GobbleGitr

Talked to 2 insurance companies, one would do it but policy about $100/month, the other one wanted an a certified appraisal of every item.  Love the question Greg and hopeful someone on here can share they have had better luck and can point us the right direction.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: GobbleGitr on October 20, 2021, 08:06:53 AM
Talked to 2 insurance companies, one would do it but policy about $100/month, the other one wanted an a certified appraisal of every item.  Love the question Greg and hopeful someone on here can share they have had better luck and can point us the right direction.
My wife works in insurance. Any good insurance company is going to require appraisals on any additional personal property past a certain point, when you start adding in jewelry and art, it really adds up and easily surpasses that base line. Things included in that base number are your furniture, and household accessories that aren't a physical part of the house, so adding additional stuff, particularly valuables, you will definitely exceed and need appraisals. As I mentioned before most companies will have a gun floater, which is usually always separated from PP and requires appraisals. The good thing about appraisals is if you know the professional doing the appraising, you can likely get the numbers where you want them to be. That may seem like skirting the line of insurance fraud, but in this instance it would cover your calls for the amount you see them worth, not someone who potentially might not know much about them or have a hard time appraising something as individualized as turkey calls, American folk art.

Believe me, with my wife in the field, and her seeing how much fiddle boxes and trumpets cost it's something she recommended looking into first even. Additional PP coverage is costly because the more value in the home the more liability the insurance company holds insuring you.

ol bob

Keep all my valuable calls in a 1000 lb safe can see anyone dragging that thing off.

bbcoach

As Hooked said, I'm sure you can get your home owners policy to insure your call collection from fire and theft.  They normally ask if you have jewelry or a gun collection you would like to add so if you wanted a dollar amount placed on your calls they would require pics etc and they probably insure them for a specific dollar value.

Yoder409

Quote from: ol bob on October 20, 2021, 09:01:54 AM
Keep all my valuable calls in a 1000 lb safe can see anyone dragging that thing off.

Same

If I had a big collection like some guys....... I might look into a policy.  But for all the more I have, a safe is the way for me to go.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.