OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Decoys for Fall Hunting?  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Decoys for Fall Hunting?
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
Wanted to get the forums thoughts on using decoys for Fall hunting? Thanks
“Solo hunter”

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
Re: Decoys for Fall Hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
If hens, jakes and gobblers are all legal, dekes are a terrible idea. Hunt defensively.

Woodsmanship and fall calling instead.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline GobbleGitr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 10:08:49 PM »
Negative ghostrider.  Flocking instinct for gobblers as well as hens/broods is such that sitting still and sounding like a turkey when being mindful of food sources they are seeking is plenty enough advantage

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 10:35:14 PM »
I use them. I use multiple hen decoys and will gobbler yelp too.I've had longbeards come into my calling and close the deal on multiple hen decoy set.  I use a solo jake when I know I'm hunting longbeards. I set decoys out in fields and in woods too. I've hunted the same public ground in fall for 25 years and don't scout. I just pick a spot and set up and call. Decoys don't work that well in fall because the birds are in survival mode but when the do work it gets them into bow range for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline scattergun

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 12:14:28 AM »
I'm guessing they don't add much if you do the scatter and call back method. If you are ambushing them, I like a decoy to give them something to look at, and assurance they will walk within 35 yards of me.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 05:56:00 AM »
Great info/advice, thank you all for that. I am going to put an effort into Fall turkey this year. Never tried it, but have been reading about it. Thanks so much, best of luck to all…..Be safe….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »
If hens, jakes and gobblers are all legal, dekes are a terrible idea. Hunt defensively.

This. I'll add be mobile, know your food sources, scout and call like the bird you want to kill. My fall shotgun season comes in in just a few weeks. Can't wait!

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 06:21:22 AM »
I agree, the benefit is not great enough to merit lugging them around. successful fall hunting reqires a highly mobile approach. You'll be staking them out and pulling them up a lot. Fall turkeys orient to food, that's your most important decoy

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 07:59:45 AM »
I agree, the benefit is not great enough to merit lugging them around. successful fall hunting reqires a highly mobile approach. You'll be staking them out and pulling them up a lot. Fall turkeys orient to food, that's your most important decoy

This. I'll add be mobile, know your food sources, scout and call like the bird you want to kill. My fall shotgun season comes in in just a few weeks. Can't wait!

Great advice. Thanks for the info. I can’t wait till the NY opener. Best of luck…be safe
“Solo hunter”

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 08:45:50 AM »
I've been an avid fall hunter all my life. My advice is to learn how to really whistle like a desperately lost poult (except when hunting mature gobblers) and forget about decoys.

Fall hunting can really be fun!! Enjoy.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 09:36:26 AM »
I've been an avid fall hunter all my life. My advice is to learn how to really whistle like a desperately lost poult (except when hunting mature gobblers) and forget about decoys.

Fall hunting can really be fun!! Enjoy.

Thanks T. Will definitely use that method. Just being out there in the crisp fall woods makes it special……
“Solo hunter”

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
my season opens tomorrow......yipeeee

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
That's an interesting concept. I always associated decoys with spring, never thought about them being used in fall.

Offline Will

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 08:14:45 AM »
In Maryland, where you can still use a rifle in the Fall, I think it is to dangerous. Not sure if rifle is allowed where you can hunt but this is something to consider. There are enough stories of decoys being shot in the Spring, and that is just shotguns. Like EZ said, a good Kee Kee.   

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
Amen, safety first….be safe everyone, enjoy the fall woods
“Solo hunter”