OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help me with my new property  (Read 1311 times)

Offline cutt down

Help me with my new property
« on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:58 PM »
I was fortunate to buy a small tract of land that was very neglected. Been clearing it up & putting some water control structures in the lower part but the upper I'm going to plant with some crop in the upper acreage. I have a couple areas of small plots in the woods that I'm going to plant. Any suggestions as to what you guys have used that works best? There is a large tract north & west of me that hold a ton of birds. Ag south & across the road to the east. River to the west. I have a spot next to the river I want to plant & another on the high ground. Anyone use the whistleback blend from Mossy Oak?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 12:05:37 AM by cutt down »

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Help me with my new property
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 08:46:58 AM »
No experience with the MO blend.   But A lot of people around here (Ga,Al) plant chufas.   Everybody I know that plants chufa seems to always have birds.   Problem is it seems to attract hogs too, if you have hogs close by. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline cutt down

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 09:39:38 PM »
No experience with the MO blend.   But A lot of people around here (Ga,Al) plant chufas.   Everybody I know that plants chufa seems to always have birds.   Problem is it seems to attract hogs too, if you have hogs close by.

Thanks. No hogs. Tons of deer. Thought about chufa. Planted it on another piece of ground but seems the birds or whatever ate it up before it took off. Thought about clover. I can plant some ag in the upper acreage but I thought I'd hit some of you up for some insight.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »
Clover is easily maintained with mowing and attractive to most wildlife, though I kill more turkeys in dirt fields.

Look around the area and give the wildlife whatever they are lacking Is the best way to attract and keep em on your place!

Clover with the perimeter planted in some type of nesting cover that you can burn every couple few years.  Warm season grasses would do.

Contact a local biologist and have a chat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 08:10:13 AM »
Can't go wrong with clover. I prefer a white or ladino clover. We had 3 acre planted and the wildlife flocked to it. Very easy to take care of. Mowed it twice a year. Early summer/late summer. May/September, After turkey season and couple months before deer season. Helps control's weeds before they go to seeding. Clover likes to be mowed. Good luck.

Offline cutt down

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 02:48:00 AM »
Thanks fellas! I'll try some clover & see what it does.