OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall calling ???  (Read 1337 times)

Offline topnotch

Fall calling ???
« on: September 28, 2021, 05:07:19 PM »
Wanted to know what others most often use cal in the fall is.
I've always used Kee Kee, usually after fiy down with some success.
To be honest most fall birds are just luck for me.

This year plan on hunting harder. Would appreciate more knowledgeable hunters opinion about fall calling.

Offline boatpaddle

• Longbeard
Re: Fall calling ???
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 06:05:27 PM »
Call Denny Gulvas at
(814) 371-6555.

Order his Fall turkey hunting DVD..

Problem solved.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Offline turkeymanjim

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »
I usually try to bust birds up. Then I listen to and mimick what the birds are doing. If they are kee kee runs I do the same, if they are clucking I just cluck, if the are yelping I just yelp. Just let the birds decide what call you should do.
Good luck, be safe.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:02:58 PM »
I hunt fall gobblers. My two main calls are long strings of course gobbler yelps and single gobbler clucks. I throw in a kee kee run now and then. If iwas hunting just any bird or young birds the kee kee would be #1

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 11:38:35 PM »
Gobbler yelping. Gobbling. Hen yelps and kee kee when hens are around. I move and call for a couple hours in fall if I don't have anything roosted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 10:50:57 AM »
Yelps and kee kees.  Like boatpaddle said, order the Denny Gulvas DVD on fall hunting, best $$ you'll spend.  I learned how to kee kee on a diapraghm thanks to Mr. Gulvas, he also goes over several fall hunting scenarios that your likely to encounter. 

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
Yelps and kee kees.  Like boatpaddle said, order the Denny Gulvas DVD on fall hunting, best $$ you'll spend.  I learned how to kee kee on a diapraghm thanks to Mr. Gulvas, he also goes over several fall hunting scenarios that your likely to encounter.

x2, and Boatpaddle's advice is spot on.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
I'll give you a quick tip. Listen very closely for subtle answers, like a single cluck and soft purrs. Many fall hunters spook birds because they are not attentive to subtle answers. Then there's days they are screaming like banjees. If your sitting and calling keep your movements low and keen eyes, old gobblers often just show up and all you'll get when he's close is one sharp cluck. I typically look for gobbler flocks as they do a lot of sparing and calliing. Gobbler flocks are good to bust up, but they will take longer to regroup, like an hour or two. Also, you need a good bust,like sending them in all directions and as far as possible. If one goes off in a direction all his own and all the others go similar ways, then you go set up on the loner.

Offline topnotch

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 06:57:39 PM »
Thanks, sounds like sound advice.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 11:58:01 PM »
Gulvas is KING. I have all of his dvds thanks to boatpaddle, man is Gulvas just a mastermind of the Gobblers, with his intense passion for the Wild Turkey you would think God assigned him to help create those birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk