OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A big gobbler on the roost....  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: A big gobbler on the roost....
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »
I hunt turkeys to do the dance. There would be no enjoyment shooting one on the limb.

A few years back, before I got my first Osceola, I was chasing a Tom. Was getting late and he stopped calling so I packed up. As I ‘m driving out I see him running along side the truck, 40 yds away. I could have easily shot him, but why? Left him for another day.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 03:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate your views. Many of you have mentioned your own personal rule book and I do have one of those myself. I definitely have some strong feelings about some of the techniques and technologies mentioned here in this thread and I guess I just wanted work out this roost thing. I don’t find myself in that position too often. What this old bird did was almost bulletproof for him. I’m not sure if his feet ever touched the ground before he hit the private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2021, 09:30:38 AM »
I hunt turkeys to do the dance. There would be no enjoyment shooting one on the limb.

Same.

If I wanted to just swat something I'd shoot a squirrel or a groundhog.

In my state, limb shooting in the spring is not legal.  The bird must be "called to your location".  But, even if it were 100% legal........ IMO, it'd be 200% pointless.  I hunt spring birds for the gobble.........the strut.......the heart-pounding moments when he's RIGHT THERE but not quite in range.  That's what I'm in it for.  I so crave the gobble in the spring that I won't shoot a  longbeard in the fall.  I'd rather revisit him in the spring when he's doing that thing.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »
Coming from a morally superior hunter,

In your own mind maybe.... but if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »
Here's my take on it. That bird was doing everything right to keep on living. And not to take away from your work and scouting it was a crappy twist of luck on his end that put his life in jeopardy. I think you made the right call but I also agree that blasting him as soon as his feet hit the the dirt really isn't any more sporting yet is wildly acceptable. Anyways you learned some valuable info and he may be around for a rematch next spring. I have had a similar experience with a gobbler several years ago and looking back I wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
A big gobbler on the roost....
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »
Here's my take on it. That bird was doing everything right to keep on living. And not to take away from your work and scouting it was a crappy twist of luck on his end that put his life in jeopardy. I think you made the right call but I also agree that blasting him as soon as his feet hit the the dirt really isn't any more sporting yet is wildly acceptable. Anyways you learned some valuable info and he may be around for a rematch next spring. I have had a similar experience with a gobbler several years ago and looking back I wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I had heard him twice in the hole he was roosting by so it was his repetition that got him in a bad situation. And good luck for me that I was able to sneak in without blowing him out and bad luck for me that I got too close. Looking back based on the terrain I don’t think I could have really improved on my set up. I hope he will be back. I’m definitely planning to pay him another visit and some of the other birds that managed to  slip my grasp. At the end of the season I was grateful to have gotten so close to several long beards. It started out with crazy pressure but got really good towards the middle and end of the season. He will live on in my memory along with the others that got away!

Offline TurkeyReaper69

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »
If I wanted to shoot something off a limb , I’d round up the hounds and tree a Coon.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »
I've never killed nor really thought of killing one off the roost.

But, I did kill a tree hopper. The bird gobbled off in a steep creek bottom that was thick and swampy and I was above the creek on a roadbed and the treetops were roughly a little above eye level. I heard wing flapping and a couple minutes later, I could see the old bird hopping from limb to limb and tree to tree. He was obviously looking for the hen (me) and eventually he hopped within range and even though he was "in a tree", I busted his arse and never felt bad at all.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 06:39:08 PM »
As said before, if it’s legal, then your choice. There’s too many local customs and traditions to follow them all. I don’t have the innards to tell you guys how I got my turkey this year. I’d be tarred and feathered. Can’t shoot a turkey in a tree, I haven’t, and can’t shoot a goose on the water, I have. I also passed on a young bull elk back in 1970 even though the guide told me to shoot a bull if I had a chance because there was several hunters in camp with tags to fill. I remember walking up on a sleeping fox and barking at him to wake him up before I’d try a shot at him. (He got away.)
I’m happy that you’re happy about not shooting that tom. Good luck next Spring.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:44 AM »
To me, shooting a bird on the limb is a major no. I do think it should be illegal across the US and I wish that some of these “traditional Turkey rules” would be enforced by the sportsmen. That’s how something as rich as Turkey hunting gets diluted and loses its soul. People are ultimately robbing themselves of the great experience that is “Turkey hunting” when they dont follow the rules.

I get it, I’ve been there. I remember being so frustrated at one point and I contemplated the idea. I was going after 1 bird for about a week straight. I got set up in the evening hoping to catch him heading back to roost (which is another debatable topic). He had about 3 spots he preferred and he went to spot #2. It was still pretty light out and he was in the tree.

I walked into the woods trying to pin point him for the next day, I saw him right there on the limb. About 25 yards from me. We looked at each other face to face, I reached this point of desperation and frustration that I contemplated breaking the rules. But I walked away, I didn’t do it and I have no qualms about it.

Me and a buddy basically had this exact opportunity you mentioned. Especially my buddy, he looked at the long beard for an hour. Maybe 15-20 yards from him. Bird pitched down and followed a hen onto the private and that was it.

To me, I was glad to be able to experience that bird in all his glory just gobbling and drumming on that limb, letting it rip to every crow. That Bird gobbled like 4-5 times a minute for an hour.

Anyways I think you did the right thing, just throw those thoughts out of your mind. You would have no legitimate story on how you killed him and you would probably be embarrassed to even tell that story to another hunter.

Like other have mentioned, it’s that dance that we do that drives me wild.

As far as him hitting the ground. I get what’s trying to be said but it goes back to the rules. Once he’s on the ground, it’s fair game. Because sure, it’s easy to do that comparison when he lands right in front of you at 30 yards, but how many times have we had him glide off entirely out of range and away. When he pitches down he still has a fighting chance, because he has the opportunity to pitch far away from you, or just straight down from the tree. In the tree his hands are tied (wings) he’s not faced with the option of route A or B, he’s ultimately getting shot in his bed.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 01:18:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing the stories. I’m guessing that bird you saw is on the ones the got away list.  Sounds like another bird I was hunting last year. I was right on top of him three days in a row. He had girlfriends and somehow narrowly escaped me each time. He had survived a whole pile of pressure before I tangled with him towards the end of season.

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
I believe it's illegal here in Alabama. You made the right choice. I appreciate your honesty.

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 04:17:29 PM »
I've never understood that.... It's unethical but legal???   I've never done it and always taught my kids that because that's what my dad taught me.  You don't shoot a bird out of a tree.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 04:22:12 PM »
I limb whooped one Tom years ago. He came in tree hopping at 10 am and lit 40’ up in a poplar 10’ from me. He made a loud thump when he hit the ground and no problems repeating that scenario if it happens again, is legal and ok in my book. I’ve had opportunities to shoot at roosted turkeys in the past, either first light having set up close under him unknowingly or simply had one fly up at dark and into gun range. Would never shoot in that instance and clearly illegal here. These days I won’t unsling the gun if I walk up on a Tom that just stands there. Used to call those “free throws” and killed some like that early on.

As far as “methods” I am just as particular as many here and plenty of legal things I wouldn’t think of doing. However, for most every hunter (who is honest with himself) pursuing a particularly tough old bird, there usually comes a point when it is perfectly ethical to employ any legal method to kill said old sob devil bird Tom. Doesn’t happen often, but it’s just the plain truth. I still got ninja skills if I get in a bad way.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »
I believe it's illegal here in Alabama. You made the right choice. I appreciate your honesty.

Agree, you made to right choice, we appreciate your honesty. Sometimes it's not easy to admit that we want to do the wrong thing occasionally. It's a strong person that resists. Feel good about your inner strength rather than second guessing  a perceived failure in obtaining another kill. There was yesterday and there's always tomorrow.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14