OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Montana Residents?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
Montana Residents?
« on: September 06, 2021, 04:41:03 PM »
Me and the wife are talking about moving to Montana in a couple years. Always been a dream but now it's a possibility with my career. Never been, but planning on visiting next year before we make the plunge. Anybody that lives or has lived in Montana have any suggestions on the best areas to live?  Pros cons of living there? I know it's cold and snowy. We hate heat and humidity lol  We are playing this by ear and if we don't like it as much as we do the south we are staying put. Thanks in advance!

Offline TurkeyReaper69

Re: Montana Residents?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 09:56:30 PM »
I don’t live in Montana, but I have been numerous times between turkey hunting and just driving through to other states. And I as well have sat and pondered the same thing your thinking. First and foremost, Montana is a beautiful state. But, with that said it’s golden days are over. Bozeman/ Gallatin county has witnessed the California invasion hard these past few years. So much so Bozeman has been nicknamed Boz Angeles.  The price of living has absolutely skyrocketed in that area. Life long residents of Gallatin County are now leaving heading to Great Falls, Billings, or out of state. Missoula has seen the same effect in the last decade. Missoula is very liberal, I’m sure within the next decade the entire state politics will massively shift to the left. The state population has doubled since 2000 and the infrastructure is struggling to keep up. If Western Montana still interests you I’d recommend looking around Anaconda, Butte, or Helena. Price of living is still somewhat affordable for the common man but take this as a warning many others are now looking at those towns as well, as Missoula/Bozeman have seen a population boom. I saw Gallatin County is now going to be called a metropolitan area.

If you are set on moving to MT I would look into Eastern MT. Miles City and Glendive are two of the bigger towns east of Billings. Both are affordable options and offer scenic views compared to the Southeastern US. However, don’t expect it to compare to the snow capped mountains of western MT. other than Miles City & Glendive there are plenty of other very small towns in the eastern portion of state but be prepared to live in a very rural area. Rural in the south east compared to rural out west hold two very different meanings. Be prepared to have a 50+ mile drive to the nearest grocery store living in rural eastern MT. I would strongly reccomend taking a trip out there and exploring all parts of the state, talking to locals (who if they are native Montanans will almost certainly try to dissuade you from moving there) and seeing everything the state has to offer for you.

After all, it’s the 4th largest state in terms of land mass surely you could find somewhere you’d enjoy within its borders.

I apologize to sound so doom and gloom just trying to give you some perspective of someone whose been there multiple times and done my research into making the move out there. National forest and other federal holdings such as BLM, and national parks make up 30+% of the states landmass, plenty of room to get out and stretch your legs as an outdoorsman. Although keep in mind with an ever increasing state population those resources provided by mother nature will be stretched thin eventually. And I predict after all the social media stars who hunted Montana this past season there will be quite a few non resident turkey hunters in Montana next year. Perhaps look at neighboring states as well.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do! There’s a lot to see in this great country.

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 06:30:15 AM »
I am similar to turkeyreaper, I visited but never lived there. I did have a friend who worked for the forest service and lived in Livingston. It started becoming a California zoo in the early 2,000s. I also had work contacts in Bozeman. They both complained about the Gallatin area sell off. My friend lived in a house his dad bought for a price in the mid 30s in the late 80s. It was just an average small town home built in the 50s. but well kept. He sold it for over 6 figures a few years ago and his son transferred to eastern Montana. My daughter lives in South Dakota and there's still plenty of nice areas there. Not as many mountains, but good rural area and some towns. Wyoming has some nice areas as well. The black hills area would be my only avoidance, it's tourist driven more than others. Just be prepared, winters will be rough compared to the south.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 06:46:22 AM »
Look around some "other" turkey forums for a guy post as Hobbes_mobile   He lives there in MT and will be happy to help you out.  He may be elk hunting now.  Good luck.

Offline MO_HUNTER

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:05 PM »
I lived in MT for 3 1/2 years, Billings to be exact. If I moved back I'd move to Laurel. Steer clear of Bozeman or its proximity. Unless you have all kinds of folding money. Not much to do in Glendive or Miles City. As far as being affordable, we'll, the Bakken helped ruin a lot of that. Most areas are pretty expensive now. Holler if you need more detail... I'll gladly share.

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:23:32 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Jstocks

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 10:50:42 AM »
If it is a dream you are looking to fulfill, then I suggest you and your wife write down 3 to 5 things each that are priorities, separately and without input from the other. Meet up and share your list with one another. Mesh that list, and then narrow down to a region of Montana you want to live. Maybe even open up your options and consider other states IF they meet your priorities better.

For example:
If mountains with snowing peaks and beautiful scenery are what you want to see from your house, then eastern Montana may not be what you are looking for.

Maybe it’s something like you want a Baptist Church nearby ( I saw you are form the South). I know if I was moving out there it would be a no go of there wasn’t a church I was interested in attending in town nearby.

Airport convenience might be a thing if you travel a lot or if you expect visitors. Where are you traveling to? Back to visit grandkids? Do flight schedules line up better from one airport as compared to another?

There’s a ton of things to look at before narrowing your choices. Once you determine those priorities, pick a region that best fits those needs. Cost of living will vary within regions and there’s nearly always something for everyone, even if not a perfect fit.

Online eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:40 AM »
and don't let anyone sell you on buying at any higher elevations. Stay as low as possible or buy big snow removal equipment. My niece learned the hard way in Utah. A realtor sold lots, "up the mt." and them and the neighbors had to go partners on a bulldozer.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
I returned few days ago from sharptail hunting. Beautiful state with lots of variety of terrain. Spend some time exploring the whole state before making a decision to move.

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 01:50:47 PM »
Great tips guys, I'm writing some of this stuff down, keep them coming please.

Offline MattM

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 01:48:18 PM »
I live in Montana. It has changed a lot over the years. It is over run with people. The cost of living is getting very high. Housing costs are very high. The hunting and fishing is no where near what it used to be. The Montana that the new people are looking for is long gone and will never come back. I am being honest with you when I say don't waste your money moving to Montana,what you are looking for is not here. If I could talk my wife into moving I would get out of Montana. But the kids and grand kids are here,so she will not move away.

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 08:49:31 PM »
Good info guys thank you. We are heading up for some trout fishing in July. It will be our first trip out west. Can't wait!!!

Offline Rooselk

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
I live in Montana and I love it here. And if you enjoy outdoor activities more than what big cities have to offer (such as pro sports teams, etc.) then I suspect you'll love Montana too. As others here have pointed out, cities like Bozeman or Missoula are experiencing significant growth and are therefore getting very expensive. But Montana is a big state so there's a lot of less expensive areas to choose from. I live in Billings and happen to be partial to Eastern Montana. I like this area because it gives me access to the mountains (the Beartooths) as well as the plains and badlands country. There's a lot of geographical diversity here. And Eastern Montana certainly offers plenty of opportunity for hunting game animals such as upland birds, turkey, mule deer, whitetails, bear, antelope, and elk.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 04:36:30 PM by Rooselk »

Hobbes

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 01:23:28 AM »
I don't recall if you PMed me here or any of the other hunting forums that I visit.  I get two or three (or more) requests for information a year, usually between now and spring.  It ranges from moving/ living in MT to hunting in MT.  I've been here a little over 10 years now,so I missed "the good ole days".  Shoot me a PM and I'll answer what I can and give you my opinions.  They won't be too far off from some above and a little different than others, probably from a little different perspective than a native Montanan.  I can say one thing, the folks that want to come to MT and change it to match where they came from can stay where they came from.  I came here with no intentions of changing Montana, unlike some of the crowd that has been showing up. I don't like the changes that I've seen in the short time that I've been here, especially the last two years, but I don't plan to leave anytime soon (read ever).