OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

45 Minutes Before Sunrise + Racewalking across The Open Field..

Started by quavers59, September 05, 2021, 03:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I see this at least once each Spring on Public Lands. The Gobblers are Vocal on the Field Edge. And then,I see "it". Meaning fast movement from a Field Edge Trail or Farmer access woodsroad.
    A Fast Walking Turkey Hunter enters the open Field- looking to cross to the other side or work his way down the Field Line in the Gobber/s Direction.
    And,I am thinking-- Oh No- not again- He Is Going To " Make" You. Sometimes it is 2 Turkey Hunters entering the Field at 45 Minutes before Sunrise. Shotguns at Port Arms.
    Unless it is Foggy- That Gobbler can definitely  see Fast Field Movement at 45 Minutes before Sunrise. Still,I see Spring Turkey Hunters take that Gamble and enter the open Field.
   Since,I have seen this quite alot over the Decades,I have wondered if others who are already setup on a Field Edge from at least 1 hour Before Sunrise- see  late coming Turkey Hunters- " take this Gamble" and enter that Open Field at 45 Minutes Before Sunrise when the Gobbler can Make You?

HookedonHooks

I see that exact scenario at least once on public land every single year, I've even taken the gamble a time or two myself over the years but definitely don't try to make a habit of it.

GobbleNut

Can't say I've ever had the "pleasure" of witnessing this in action in these parts.  I will admit I would probably find it disturbing if I hunted somewhere that it was a somewhat regular occurrence.  I am inclined to avoid hunting places where I even remotely thought that would happen.  ...My good fortune in living where I do, I suppose. 

Having said that, I, too, have had to make the choice of crossing a wide-open space to get to a gobbling turkey a few times when the lightening skies were questionable, but there was really no other way to go about getting to where I needed to be.  In pitch blackness, I won't hesitate, but when I think it is light enough where  the turkeys might see me,...that's another matter. 

I would rather try to call a gobbler across a wide-open expanse than just show him that I am on my way to pay him a visit.  I am pretty certain turkeys generally view human beings walking towards them as being harmful to their future well-being. 

In your situation, I suspect there are those folks that will intentionally do what you are talking about just to scare the birds so they can try them another time when they think nobody else will be around.  Pretty crappy attitude,...but probably more common than we would like to think.

Mossberg90MN

I actually for the most part don't see or run into anybody when I'm out there luckily.

I know I personally have gambled on this a time or two, but the birds were well tucked into the woods.

If it happened to me I would probably get up and leave, or wait it out and let things calm down and see if that bird wants to play. Only thing that would keep me from staying there is the second that bird gobbles, the other guy is gonna come running back.

Paulmyr

If I'm planning on hunting nearby I don't do it even if it's one hour before sunrise if I can help it. Moonlit nights an hour before sunrise will find me in or on the woods edge in the shadows moving as slowly as I can or using some type of terrain feature to block my approach.

Moonless or cloudy I may go directly across. Depends on where I think they may be roosted and how far out of the way I have to travel or if I can even stay on the edge to get to where I'm going.

This scenario usually doesn't come into play for me very often. Fields attract people. It's easy hunting. I shy away from areas that attract people.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

RND1983

Quote from: Paulmyr on September 06, 2021, 01:32:17 PM
If I'm planning on hunting nearby I don't do it even if it's one hour before sunrise if I can help it. Moonlit nights an hour before sunrise will find me in or on the woods edge in the shadows moving as slowly as I can or using some type of terrain feature to block my approach.

Moonless or cloudy I may go directly across. Depends on where I think they may be roosted and how far out of the way I have to travel or if I can even stay on the edge to get to where I'm going.

This scenario usually doesn't come into play for me very often. Fields attract people. It's easy hunting. I shy away from areas that attract people.

True statement about fields attracting hunters. Hunted a northeast state last year. The report was that the turkeys weren't cooperating. What that basically meant was they weren't coming to fields and into decoy setups. Luckily there were plenty of birds and they stayed in the woods. It was a perfect scenario for my particular style and had some excellent hunts.

Turkeyman

Well...regarding when a turkey can pick you up or not due to ensuing lightness. I know that on several occasions I've been very surprised upon walking in that, even though walking pretty much under birds on the way in, they obviously didn't pick me up because they started their normal morning routine whether gobbling or hen talk. I honestly believe that a turkey cannot see in the dark as well as you can. That said, I always like to err on the safe side.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Turkeyman on September 06, 2021, 04:26:10 PM
Well...regarding when a turkey can pick you up or not due to ensuing lightness. I know that on several occasions I've been very surprised upon walking in that, even though walking pretty much under birds on the way in, they obviously didn't pick me up because they started their normal morning routine whether gobbling or hen talk. I honestly believe that a turkey cannot see in the dark as well as you can. That said, I always like to err on the safe side.

I have done the same in the woods and would agree as to turkeys having a hard time picking up a slow moving target in that element. Moving through an open field with nothing to break up my outline, not so much.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yoder409

Quote from: Turkeyman on September 06, 2021, 04:26:10 PMI honestly believe that a turkey cannot see in the dark as well as you can. That said, I always like to err on the safe side.

I'm not as confident of this as you.

Nearly every year in archery season, there are birds roosted RIGHT over a woods road I use to access one of my stands.  The road goes along the side of a pretty good hillside about 3/4 of the way to the ridgetop.  Sometimes I can walk right under them in total darkness (I know the road well and rarely ever use a light) and they don't budge.  But many times over the years, birds have busted out of the treetops and headed across the valley.........in the pitch black.  I don't think they'd do that if they couldn't see where they were going. I am assuming they are not flying into trees and breaking their necks in their attempt to land.  Just my theory............

If I have to cross a field that would be in a bird's field of view in the daylight.......... I've never been above crossing at 3:30 or 4:00 AM and taking a nap once I get where I wanna be.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.