turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbler cluck or yelp

Started by shatcher, February 03, 2022, 03:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottonmouth

Gobbler yelps can easily be done on a raspy mouth call. I called in my 2 biggest midwest birds with one. No special call needed.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Cottonmouth on February 03, 2022, 10:28:03 PM
Gobbler yelps can easily be done on a raspy mouth call. I called in my 2 biggest midwest birds with one. No special call needed.
Curious, so if you don't use mouth calls. you don't need any other type call to make Jake and gobbler yelps ?  Interesting ... that's like saying carry your shotgun because you don't need shells ...

Chris O

I use it quite often but it is usually a last ditch effort to make a hung up bird think another gobbler or Jake has moved in on the hen. I have had it work several times. I am always trying to sound like multiple birds by using different calls.Once a bird answers and seems interested I won't use another call unless I think he has hung up.

TrackeySauresRex

I've always try to sound like multiple bird as well. If the woods quiets down I'd put it out there. And just be ready....
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TRG3

Quote from: Chris O on February 07, 2022, 10:04:59 PM
I use it quite often but it is usually a last ditch effort to make a hung up bird think another gobbler or Jake has moved in on the hen. I have had it work several times. I am always trying to sound like multiple birds by using different calls.Once a bird answers and seems interested I won't use another call unless I think he has hung up.

Even though I'd hunted gobblers for nearly 35 years, I had not heard a series of gobbler yelp in the wild until a few years ago when I mistook it for a hoarse beagle slowly trailing a rabbit. I shared my experience with another turkey hunter and he identified the sound as a gobbler, noting that had I answered with similar gobbler yelps that I might have called him in. I haven't heard that sound since that morning. However, I have had great success during the first and fifth Illinois spring seasons with the Primos gobble tube and hen yelps, giving the impression that there's a new hen in the area and a strange tom has moved in on her. The peck order of turkeys, both hen and gobbler, often brings in other birds to check out the situation.

GobbleNut

Interesting discussion.  Here's a couple of comments about it from the peanut gallery...
In my decades of turkey hunting, I have heard a good number of hunters, that let's just say had questionable abilities on a mouth call, call up gobblers at various points in the season by making gobbler yelps when they thought they were making hen yelps.   ;D :D
By the same token, I have also seen a few gobblers yelping that, if I had not seen them when they were doing it, I would have thought were hens yelping.
...So go figure...  :angel9:
Bottom line is that turkeys come to whatever sounds they decide they want to come to...and their interpretation of those sounds is not necessarily what our interpretation of those sounds is...  :toothy9:

Chris O

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 08, 2022, 11:03:56 AM
Interesting discussion.  Here's a couple of comments about it from the peanut gallery...
In my decades of turkey hunting, I have heard a good number of hunters, that let's just say had questionable abilities on a mouth call, call up gobblers at various points in the season by making gobbler yelps when they thought they were making hen yelps.   ;D :D
By the same token, I have also seen a few gobblers yelping that, if I had not seen them when they were doing it, I would have thought were hens yelping.
...So go figure...  :angel9:
Bottom line is that turkeys come to whatever sounds they decide they want to come to...and their interpretation of those sounds is not necessarily what our interpretation of those sounds is...  :toothy9:
I have also heard gobblers that sound like a hen, but you can usually tell a difference. In my high pressured area I am hear more yelps and spitting from gobblers than I used to. I do agree with what you said though