OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What constitutes a callmaker as a legend?  (Read 3056 times)

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
What constitutes a callmaker as a legend?
« on: August 31, 2021, 11:28:15 AM »
I have heard it referred to with a small group of callmakers now and then, somewhat loosely by some and others have stated it with more conviction.  What in your opinion 'qualifies' a callmaker without naming names, as a legend or legendary?  Some may be historic, some may be quite recent and some may already be gone, but to the point, what are the criteria/qualifications/skills, as you see them, that place a callmaker into such a status position?  For me, I don't believe because a certain callmaker has built say 1,000 calls or perhaps even more makes them a legend.  Is it awards, is it turkey's killed with their calls, is it something less tangible, but highly "valuable" that they have contributed to callmaking that "elevates" them to this standing?

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
What constitutes a callmaker as a legend?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:55:03 AM »
A part of me wants to say it’s when callmakers do things that haven’t been done before. Sometimes they’re well aware of the history and evolution and take one more step to make something their own. Sometimes they’re not intimately aware of that history at all and instead just set their own path. But in both instances they’re doing something new. But then I find myself thinking of some callmakers who didn’t necessarily add anything new to the conversation but they perfected a certain style of call over the course of a lifetime and that can be equally admirable. All that to say, I’m unsure, but I know the living ones I’d consider in that class and I know the past ones, and in all those cases they fit into one of those three places. They either did something new or did something perfect, and often times both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 12:28:53 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: What constitutes a callmaker as a legend?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »
I will go back to the early years of call builders. Back in those days we new very few people in the call building world unless it was some outdoor magazine article about a certain builder or just a close friend of the builder. Now with social media it has really changed the game of finding these call builders and for them selling calls. I agree i don't necessarily know about calling these builders legends or whatever, but i feel reputation over the years plays a big part in who's a step ahead of other call builders. Some of these builders have created new calls and designs, while others have carried on the old traditional style of calls, like in following the Neil Cost designed boxes etc. I have to say some have done a better job in perfecting their craftsmanship in building JUST better calls with sounds and tones. What's also  amazing with buying calls is trying to understand what the call maker was thinking in terms of sounds and tones he was hearing from his calls as the old saying goes the turkey in his head. I think most all call builders hear different turkey sounds as we do in finding the calls we want to hear, hunt and buy. I do think the pioneers of turkey call builders before social media or ever news or magazine articles are the true legends of call builders. As time goes on others will become legendary as they leave their marks in the turkey call building world. I agree with they did something new or did something perfect, and often times both with perfecting outstanding calls in any type. It doesn't necessarily have to be high priced call either. Very interesting post culpeper.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 02:23:16 PM »
Somebody has to write a song about them,

and no, stuff written on the hunting club bathroom wall does not count.

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
Greg & Chester....great replies guys and this is precidely the thinking and dialogue I was hoping to read. 

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »
Somebody has to write a song about them,

and no, stuff written on the hunting club bathroom wall does not count.
A hen cluck or yelp or a thirsty jake burping / A man can do it all when he learns to run a Turpin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
This is my idea of a legend. #1 the native American that put 2 wing bones together about 8000 years ago and found when he sucked on it it sounded like a turkey. DD Adams,Neil Cost, Simon Everitt,Henry Davis,Henry Gibson,Charles Jordan,Ben Lee,ML Lynch,Archibald Rutledge,Tom Turpin. Davis,Rutledge, more for the writing than calls. Earl Mickel he has done more for the call makers today than anyone. I know I have missed some but all theses people have one thing in common, They are all dead.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
I believe a legend in the turkey call arena is someone who has perfected their calls to a level far superior to their peers. The criteria of a legendary call maker incorporates craftsmanship, material, sound, and over-all quality. There are legendary production call makers, as well as legendary custom call makers. A lot of call making success lies in the “ears” of the beholders.  There are many legendary call makers on this forum that we are all lucky to have in our arena, we all know who they are. Be safe, great post….
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:42:15 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
You licking his boots.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »
In addition to their call making abilities I think those that were/are ambassadors for the sport should fit in the category as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline RND1983

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
In addition to their call making abilities I think those that were/are ambassadors for the sport should fit in the category as well.

I would agree with that.

Offline fordhunt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 05:25:07 PM »
I will go back to the early years of call builders. Back in those days we new very few people in the call building world unless it was some outdoor magazine article about a certain builder or just a close friend of the builder. Now with social media it has really changed the game of finding these call builders and for them selling calls. I agree i don't necessarily know about calling these builders legends or whatever, but i feel reputation over the years plays a big part in who's a step ahead of other call builders. Some of these builders have created new calls and designs, while others have carried on the old traditional style of calls, like in following the Neil Cost designed boxes etc. I have to say some have done a better job in perfecting their craftsmanship in building JUST better calls with sounds and tones. What's also  amazing with buying calls is trying to understand what the call maker was thinking in terms of sounds and tones he was hearing from his calls as the old saying goes the turkey in his head. I think most all call builders hear different turkey sounds as we do in finding the calls we want to hear, hunt and buy. I do think the pioneers of turkey call builders before social media or ever news or magazine articles are the true legends of call builders. As time goes on others will become legendary as they leave their marks in the turkey call building world. I agree with they did something new or did something perfect, and often times both with perfecting outstanding calls in any type. It doesn't necessarily have to be high priced call either. Very interesting post culpeper.
very well said Mr Massey

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »
If I use one of his calls, he is legendary.  All you call makers who want that status, just send me a free call and by next year, BOOM!, you will be a legendary call maker. :OGani:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 09:45:33 PM »

:icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 10:34:32 PM »
Mark Drury is a call making “ legend !!
  He sold thousands of freaking silent dog whistles to turkey hunters , if that ain’t legendary?
Then what is ?!?!