only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Today is the BIG day in Mississippi for NR hunters

Started by deadbuck, August 18, 2021, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

Quote from: wchadw on August 20, 2021, 07:45:48 AM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on August 19, 2021, 11:32:32 PM
Title is misleading... as a MS resident. I believe it was a big day for us residents more so than non residents. This will cut pressure by half at least. Thank you Jesus.. or MDWFP.
They should have pushed opening date back 2 weeks and changed limit to 2 birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100 % agree . Push season back , change limit to 2 adult gobblers . I'm glad to see them being pro active , but I don't see this being the answer .

deadbuck

You eat an elephant one bite at a time.... this was the first bite

Chad

I'm glad to see some changes being made. I believe a physical tagging system should be the next step

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: Chad on August 20, 2021, 11:38:43 AM
I'm glad to see some changes being made. I believe a physical tagging system should be the next step
I agree, feeders should be outlawed during turkey season also.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Jstocks

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on August 20, 2021, 12:26:53 PM

I'm all for the old system Missouri had where you had to go to a check station.

RND1983

Quote from: Jstocks on August 20, 2021, 02:09:05 PM

I'm all for the old system Missouri had where you had to go to a check station.

I was always awesome to stroll up to the check station with a bird!

drice561

Good deal.  Won't have to be worried about all the Arkansas tags at every gate on the Forest by my house for a few weeks.  Less pressure for easier working birds. Win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-Shaped

Feeders should be outlawed altogether, period. If you can't kill a deer in the state of Mississippi without the help of supplemental feed, you outta take up another hobby. Anecdotal I know, but a lot of turkeys are killed in the early season that have been patterned to corn, by people who otherwise wouldn't even kill a turkey. Why the state allows it, especially in the North zone, with the spread of CWD imminent, is beyond me.

Somehow it's become the new normal.

tracker vi

RND1983

Quote from: tracker vi on August 20, 2021, 09:17:59 PM
Feeders are everywhere , not just Miss.

Yes they are. It always blows my mind when I kill birds that are full of corn.

Jstocks

There was feed before feeders. They need to stop the feeding for several reasons, one being the seed coatings that Dr Woods is researching, the other reason is if they enforced it seriously, like shutting down land and serious fines, then we could do some good. Feeding is bad for the deer and bad for the turkeys.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: J-Shaped on August 20, 2021, 04:14:10 PM

Feeders should be outlawed altogether, period. If you can't kill a deer in the state of Mississippi without the help of supplemental feed, you outta take up another hobby. Anecdotal I know, but a lot of turkeys are killed in the early season that have been patterned to corn, by people who otherwise wouldn't even kill a turkey. Why the state allows it, especially in the North zone, with the spread of CWD imminent, is beyond me.

Somehow it's become the new normal.
You are correct, except the first case of cwd was found in the central part of Ms.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

quavers59

I would like  to read a few replys from  Arkansas Spring Turkey Hunters  on this subject. I have been watching- but nothing yet.
  My guess is most are happy with the new measure

Fdept56

Quote from: quavers59 on August 21, 2021, 03:41:02 PM
   I would like  to read a few replys from  Arkansas Spring Turkey Hunters  on this subject. I have been watching- but nothing yet.
  My guess is most are happy with the new measure

I've hunted MS four consecutive years. While I'm not necessarily happy with the new rules because it's going to limit my hunting in the future, something needed to be done for the residents. I thought 2020 was bad but this past spring took it to a whole new level. I have one spot that I can get away from people with a long walk and crossing a creek but I even found boot prints back there along with an almost unbelievable amount of vehicles parked along the road. I really hope it helps the population but I'm afraid it will be just as crowded as soon as the dates allowing everyone to hunt roll around.