OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Today is the BIG day in Mississippi for NR hunters

Started by deadbuck, August 18, 2021, 09:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

MDWFP commission is supposed to vote tonight on the proposed changes to limit NR license sales on public land in MS for 2022.

limhnger

deerhunt1988

Rule 8.4 Passed:

-Raised non-resident 3-day and 7-day hunting license fees from $125 to $150
-Raised non-resident spring turkey permit fees from $20 to $50

Rule 3.1 Passed:

B. Non-Resident Draw Hunt

1. All non-residents must be drawn to hunt open public lands from March 15
– March 28.

2. Open public lands include National Forests, National Wildlife Refuges,
Corps of Engineers lands, etc., that have statewide seasons without special regulations. This
includes MDWFP-operated Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) that are open with no special
season or draw hunts during this time.

Can view the commission meeting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFRFfDNtf1s

3bailey3

St. Augustine Strutter

Alabama, Florida, and Georgia will be hammered next year with out of state hunters. This will most likely create a domino effect. I hope Florida follows suit in the near future.

RND1983

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on August 18, 2021, 08:51:53 PM
Alabama, Florida, and Georgia will be hammered next year with out of state hunters. This will most likely create a domino effect. I hope Florida follows suit in the near future.

No question Florida and Alabama will get hammered. I would think Tennessee will get a little more pressure than Georgia from NR hunters. Tennessee and Georgia now open on the same weekend, but Georgia public land opens a week later. Should be interesting to see...

catman529

Quote from: RND1983 on August 18, 2021, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on August 18, 2021, 08:51:53 PM

No question Florida and Alabama will get hammered. I would think Tennessee will get a little more pressure than Georgia from NR hunters. Tennessee and Georgia now open on the same weekend, but Georgia public land opens a week later. Should be interesting to see...
If I'm not mistaken Alabama is looking to open public lands a couple weeks later next year as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jstocks

South Texas hunts are fixing to get real popular/pricey in my opnion. I haven't heard this approached much, but once those guys over there figure it out you'll be paying to play. The 4 bird hunts will be nonexistent. Prices will be near Florida prices for 2 bird hunts.

arkrem870

Funny what a small amount of money and the need for confirmation from random men can get ya........thanks YouTube and social media "hunters".  Pissing on hard working public hunters and telling us it's raining.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Jimspur

MS is capping the number of non-resident draw permits to 850 for the
first 2 weeks of the season on public land.

Jstocks

Quote from: Jimspur on August 19, 2021, 10:09:51 PM
MS is capping the number of non-resident draw permits to 850 for the
first 2 weeks of the season on public land.

They put all that effort into making a good change, then minimized it's effectiveness by leaving too many NR permits in the draw if that is the case.

TurkeyReaper69

Title is misleading... as a MS resident. I believe it was a big day for us residents more so than non residents. This will cut pressure by half at least. Thank you Jesus.. or MDWFP.

wchadw

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on August 19, 2021, 11:32:32 PM
Title is misleading... as a MS resident. I believe it was a big day for us residents more so than non residents. This will cut pressure by half at least. Thank you Jesus.. or MDWFP.
They should have pushed opening date back 2 weeks and changed limit to 2 birds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on August 18, 2021, 04:56:46 PM
Raised non-resident 3-day and 7-day hunting license fees from $125 to $150
-Raised non-resident spring turkey permit fees from $20 to $50

Just like SC. Only increases the NR cost to hunt. At least SC reduced the NR bag limit by 1. Mississippi didn't even do that. Neither state raised resident costs or reduced resident bag limits. Resident hunters take a hell of a lot more birds than NR's do.
So the message to be taken from both states is that they really don't give a damn about increasing turkey numbers, they just want to appease the resident hunters by padding the state coffers from the wallets of NR's. How unfortunate for the turkey populations.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.