OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Successful hunters using .410  (Read 4013 times)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
Successful hunters using .410
« on: August 03, 2021, 02:45:53 PM »
Finally broke down a purchased a .410 bore to turkey hunt with next spring ( Unfired 2018 Mossberg Model 500 Turkey, full MO Obsession camo 26" Fixed full(.389)choke. It seems tight for full more like extra full. No TSS available now but did test Win. Super X 3" 11/16 and 3/4 oz. # 6 lead shot. It did well at 30 yards.

My question is for all you successful .410 turkey hunters out there.  What is your honest opinion using the .410 and making it work in the field?  Your choice of Guns, chokes, ammo , sights etc. would be appreciated.  Any body kill one with lead shot?  Distance?  Would you continue using a .410 after having been successful with one?  Thanks in advance for any info you are willing to provide.  I am getting in this .410 game a little late and just want your opinions.  I am very excited to give it a try next spring.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:39:33 PM by WildTigerTrout »
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Kygobblergetter

Re: Successful hunters using .410
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »
In my opinion hunting with a .410 is best with tss just based on pattern density. Lead will absolutely kill them but if I was shooting lead I would probably shoot 7.5 shot for added pattern density and they are definitely lethal to 30 yards. Most .410s with 9.5s tss will pattern to 40 yards fairly easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »
I have been using a .410 some over the last few years. It is a killer at 30yds. It will also produce solid numbers at 40 that will provide quality kill pellet counts.(approx 130s out of my gun) It just seems to drop alot between 30 and 40.

It rides in my truck everyday of season but I only grab it when the woods are a little thicker and I know they going to be close (I just have to much confidence in the 20 to put it down as my primary carry). It's a nice accessory and conversation starter. I just don't consider it my all purpose tool.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 07:58:01 AM »
Thank you both for your input.  Good info right there and just what I was looking for, honest opinions.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Ridge Rooster

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
I have 2 410's and have shot 6 gobblers with the guns. Have also experimented with many different handloads and factory 410 shells. One thing I have noticed is that the 410 seems to be more consistent with a clean bore (really clean) and with a fouled bore the core seems to wonder a bit. I have settled on a handload of number 10 TSS that will do around 200 plus in the 10" at 40 fairly consistent in both of my guns and 2 other 410's that one of my hunting buddies and his son uses. Settled on this load after 100's of dollars of factory and different combinations of handloads and figured enough is enough and 200 in the 10" ain't nothing to dismiss. I am very confident in the 410 and my handloads out to 40 yards. One of my guns is a TriStar Viper G2 with Indian Creek .385 the other is a Mossberg 500 410 with Jebs Xtra full. The first turkey I killed with the 410 was with a Mossberg factory full 500 like the gun you have.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Offline Dayooper14

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
Only two birds under my belt with the 410. No drawbacks for me so far. The weight was pleasant all season long. The patterning session didn't require Advil. It really shined on days I needed to get on the move. It was a plus on days I was gear heavy carrying for youth hunters and being able to hand them the same gun readily is probably it's biggest selling point for me.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:11:41 AM »
Great input fellows.  Keep it coming. Love the honest opinions.

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 01:03:49 PM »
I'm using a single-shot .410. I wasn't happy with the pattern so I dumped the stock choke and replaced it with an IC .390. More open choke because I'm using custom loads with #8s. I average 130@ 40 yards. Would like to see a little higher count but understand fewer "soldiers" using #8s. It was a joy carrying and I harvested a nice bird this year @ 22 yards...likes a "clean" barrel...

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
Thanks, more great info.  Shooting best with a clean barrel seems to be the norm. I will remember that.

Offline superx2

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 05:52:08 PM »
I picked up the savage this winter and put a bushnell trophy trs 25red dot super light set up joy to carry. .
dropped a nice bird this spring with it at 35yds. with hand loads.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 07:29:45 PM »
I picked up the savage this winter and put a bushnell trophy trs 25red dot super light set up joy to carry. .
dropped a nice bird this spring with it at 35yds. with hand loads.
I am assuming handloads with TSS? Yes.  I reload rifle and handgun cartridges but not shot shells so will be using some sort of factory ammo.  Thanks for your input.  Sounds like your setup worked well.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 07:16:06 AM »
I've used the Savage 301 .410 for two Florida seasons.  I added a Jeb's Headhunter choke and use only Apex shells.  The new  Apex Ninja 9 1/2 is great.  I now won't use anything but Apex Ninja if turkey hunting.  I have some Federal TSS and while it does pattern ok it doesn't "look" as good on paper.  I tried a Truglow red dot in 2020 and it did work although the parallax was terrible.  I switched to a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 red dot this past season.  Parallax much better and I like the instant on feature.  I was blessed to take two birds in 2020 and two this season.  All one shot kills but all within 30 yards.  When doing test pattering to set up the red dots used some Federal lead loads.  Pattern very spotty even at 25 yards.  If your going to go .410 use the TSS.  The big birds deserve it.   :OGturkeyhead:

I'm going to send you a PM WildTigerTrout
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:25:44 AM by joey46 »

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:58 AM »
Thank you.  I read your PM and responded.

Offline Niner

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
I purchased a CVA Scout .410 this past winter for my daughter and myself to use.  They come from the factory with a jebs xxfull turkey choke and I added a vortex venom reflex on it.  Patterned really well with Fed #9 and Apex #9.5.  I ended up using the Apex to hunt with and was able to take two birds this past spring (33 and 25yds).  With how light and deadly the gun is, the 870 express super mag has been relegated to a backup gun. Check out my post here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,103287.0.html

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 03:25:43 PM »
Nice post.  I'm not down on the Federal loads just think Apex a little better.  The Jeb's which I bought only because some others were not available is very good.  Will stick with this choke.  410 is a fun gun at 40 yards.  Always leery of the 50 yard threads.  Get them close.  Get them DEAD.