OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The numbers don’t lie

Started by arkrem870, July 30, 2021, 07:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiloh

I don't totally agree with that Jimspur.  Before onX I'd mark my truck with the gps and take off without a care of where I'd end up because I knew I could get back to the truck and the boundaries are pretty obvious.  The apps have made it easier for sure, but not necessarily a game changer in my opinion.  One thing they have done is highlight spots that are not so obvious. 

Squatch.........I think your post is pretty much on point.  One thing to add.  Some of the guys who are inspired by the YouTube guys are striking out and coming home empty handed.  I have a family member who will never step foot in Florida to turkey hunt again.  What's funny is that he was in camp and hunting some with THP.  I have another buddy that struck out to Maine in late season and got a O.   He will likely never do that again.  Most don't have the drive. 

El Pavo Grande

The constant and majority of statements are that us raising concerns are just envious and jealous.  I can't speak for everyone, but that's not even remotely accurate.  Or that it's just the new reality and to accept it.   In my opinion, both are weak responses void of substance.  It's laughable and naive to believe YouTube and social media have no negative effects on public land turkey hunting and if not kept in check will continue to play a major role in reducing hunter opportunity.....all in the name of hunter recruitment.  It's entertainment....so is Hollywood.  It's educational for some, and that's not a bad thing the majority of the time.  Technology as a whole will continue to push the limits and beyond if we don't set boundaries.  Someone will be sitting on the couch in nothing but their underwear, eating Cheetohs and shooting turkeys with drones if we let them.

I'd bet a lot more on even this forum agree, but don't dare speak out.   Might ruffle some feathers or step on toes.  When there is a "BUT" there might be a need for change.  I've seen multiple comments that say "There are negatives, BUT....."  Once again, that's weak.  If there are negatives then make corrections. I don't expect much to change, when the influencers first hand scoff at the concerns and don't personally believe there are any negatives.  Right... and the majority buy it hook line and sinker because we want to be entertained.  I like watching some of the videos and I like some of the personalities based on what I see on the videos.  It's not personal.  I don't dislike any of them.  That doesn't mean I can't be critical.  The cat is out of the bag at this point.  As an invested turkey hunter that places turkeys as a priority, I'd just implore the YouTube personalities and Joey on FB to be responsible.  If any aspect of this is selfish, it's in sharing specific information for thousands (millions) to access.  Does personal gain, whether that be monetary, notoriety, or simple "likes" on social media outweigh the responsibility to the resource and fellow hunters?  If you haven't made adjustments, then consider changing what and how you present.  But, if we don't think that 461,000 views of a state specific public land video doesn't have an effect, or a channel with 378,000 subscribers presenting a video that includes a National Forest gated road sign and videos of local landmarks doesn't have effects, then you need to take off the blindfold.  Or in a few cases, the fan club t-shirt.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the answer to a frequently posed question.  What are the positives for turkey populations and the future of turkey hunting in sharing specific public land information on social media for unlimited access, whether it be presented via YouTube channels or individuals on FB or forums? Anyone?   If anyone cares to answer, I'd first consider beyond what appears to be positive on the surface might be detrimental in the long run. 

Shiloh

I can't see any major plus in discussing specifics and I don't think it is going to make a huge difference in views to leave that stuff out. 

One thing to remember.  Lots of people on these forums bashed the older tv personalities for their ways and said that if anyone ever started hunting public land and suffering like the common man we'd buy it.  Well.......some did just that and have seen some success and now it's an issue.  Unintended consequences???

Greg Massey

I think for change, we all need to read the Old Timers Post ...

g8rvet

When I read research, I look to see who funded it, who stands to make money on it and the affiliations of those that published it.  When someone tells me that they are not having negative effects and they are making money on their behavior, they get zero credence in my mind.  But I also feel the same about folks that just want empty public land with no other hunters and tons of gullible turkeys.  When someone makes a statement, look at what is driving them to make the statement-how does that person benefit from their stance.  I don't think it is even hard to read this thread and figure out who's opinions are biased and those who are not.  Not sure how any of that will change things. 

I personally like the thought of no publication of videos filmed on public land - there can be no monetary gain from public land hunts.  None.  But that leaves off the FB heroes, which in my opinion are 10 times worse.  I got ridiculed on a duck hunting website because I blacked out the background of a picture of a nice mess of ducks we killed - but 2 guys that had seen me there thanked me profusely in private.  We are living in an ADD world people.  microwaveable success!  All about me.  Not likely to change.  Just make a difference with those you mentor.  Tell him/her why all that other stuff is nonsense and that pictures on Al Gore's interwebs are FOREVER!   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

BBR12

The info always was out there IF, and a huge IF, you were a hardcore deep rooted hunter.

That's not what these bandwagon guys are!! They ONLY took interest after the easiness was shown to them.

That is the issue here and the difference.

Those type of guys didn't want it bad enough to ever do deep research and strike out on a blind trek. A trek that easily ends in nothing more than learning where not to go!!!

It's easy to put it in an example. I took interest in trying to elk hunt 6 years ago. Nobody wanted to go. I went solo and struck out archery hunting. I didn't care, if anything I then wanted it MORE. Went the following year, still no takers. Went solo again and killed a stud bull.

As soon as word around my home town got out I all of a sudden had a lot of friends saying "I'd like to go with you". Where were they on this first two trips??? The ones where I was traveling blind??? NOWHERE.

Those videos are doing that for people ten fold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[/quote]

This is exactly the problem. I had to learn to do it on my own. I didn't have anyone to show me how to travel and hunt. Me and a buddy loaded  up and went on our first trip in 2004 when we were mid 20's. We did find and kill birds and we are still adapting and changing how we travel still today. Nowadays though every 18 yr old knows  they can jump in the truck and go to X-WMA in X-state and find birds. It is infinitely easier for them and they are doing it by the truck load. I can say I went to an area where one of the YouTube guys is from. That's not the reason I went there, I was going to be in that area anyway, but I had a pretty good idea there would be birds in the area. I don't think he liked it though when I sent him a couple picks by HIS WMA sign.

sasquatch1

Quote from: BBR12 on August 04, 2021, 02:20:38 PM
The info always was out there IF, and a huge IF, you were a hardcore deep rooted hunter.

That's not what these bandwagon guys are!! They ONLY took interest after the easiness was shown to them.

That is the issue here and the difference.

Those type of guys didn't want it bad enough to ever do deep research and strike out on a blind trek. A trek that easily ends in nothing more than learning where not to go!!!

It's easy to put it in an example. I took interest in trying to elk hunt 6 years ago. Nobody wanted to go. I went solo and struck out archery hunting. I didn't care, if anything I then wanted it MORE. Went the following year, still no takers. Went solo again and killed a stud bull.

As soon as word around my home town got out I all of a sudden had a lot of friends saying "I'd like to go with you". Where were they on this first two trips??? The ones where I was traveling blind??? NOWHERE.

Those videos are doing that for people ten fold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is exactly the problem. I had to learn to do it on my own. I didn't have anyone to show me how to travel and hunt. Me and a buddy loaded  up and went on our first trip in 2004 when we were mid 20's. We did find and kill birds and we are still adapting and changing how we travel still today. Nowadays though every 18 yr old knows  they can jump in the truck and go to X-WMA in X-state and find birds. It is infinitely easier for them and they are doing it by the truck load. I can say I went to an area where one of the YouTube guys is from. That's not the reason I went there, I was going to be in that area anyway, but I had a pretty good idea there would be birds in the area. I don't think he liked it though when I sent him a couple picks by HIS WMA sign.
[/quote]

PM me that location. Ill go do it also next season. Maybe that's what we have to start doing now. Hunting down their local honey holes and exploiting them. lol

eggshell

Good idea guys, do a group hunt within 50 miles of their home addresses or their favorite WMA. Serve them some of their own stale cake. At least drive by and post some gate and sign pictures even if you don't hunt. You can do this on vacation in the summer even. Seems fair to me.  :funnyturkey:

the Ward

Outdoor writers have done far more to screw up good hunting than youtube. All the "5 best places to hunt xyz"  articles in print and online.I remember seeing a article about best little known public duck hunting spots to hunt in my state a few years back. Even had the road and parking area and how to access it.Yup, completely ruined now.Oh well, i just moved on and found new places. It's public land, open to everyone. It is only going to get worse, with or without youtube. We have an ever increasing population, more land loss to development, and deep pocket guys are leasing up land that the owners used to let you hunt for free. We are headed to the pay to play system here. It is inevitable. maybe not in our lifetimes, but it will be in our childrens and grandchildrens. Don't want to be a pessimist, but the best hunting we enjoyed are past and isn't coming back. And youtuber's posting hunts are not the cause.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: the Ward on August 05, 2021, 09:55:59 AM
Outdoor writers have done far more to screw up good hunting than youtube. All the "5 best places to hunt xyz"  articles in print and online.I remember seeing a article about best little known public duck hunting spots to hunt in my state a few years back. Even had the road and parking area and how to access it.Yup, completely ruined now.Oh well, i just moved on and found new places. It's public land, open to everyone. It is only going to get worse, with or without youtube. We have an ever increasing population, more land loss to development, and deep pocket guys are leasing up land that the owners used to let you hunt for free. We are headed to the pay to play system here. It is inevitable. maybe not in our lifetimes, but it will be in our childrens and grandchildrens. Don't want to be a pessimist, but the best hunting we enjoyed are past and isn't coming back. And youtuber's posting hunts are not the cause.
No one is stating YouTube is the only one to blame, but no denying they have elevated the issue greatly.  Joey on FB or forums sharing specific information or pictures at WMA signs is to blame as well.  So are writers and online bloggers that do the same.  It boils down to some form of personal gain....money, notoriety, affirmation, etc.  We can pass on the tradition for all to enjoy without detailing specific information or over promoting public land, which in the long run is more of a negative than a positive, regardless of the shared intention.  We can continue to throw our hands in the air and say "oh well, times have changed" or we can educate within our turkey hunting community.  Share stories, share videos, share pictures, introduce new people to turkey hunting.... No one is saying otherwise.  Just be responsible with the content.  Be a good steward of the resource.  Simple.

arkrem870

YouTube / social media content guys are directly responsible for this current trend.  Outdoors writers sharing information has been around for a 100 years and though it still isn't a good practice it's nothing in comparison to what's transpired the last 3-5 years. Data backs it up
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

quavers59

I totally agree with arkrem870 above.Next Spring thêre will be a few more brand new Ytube Turkey Hunting Groups to watch on Utube,I am sure.

simpzenith

Quote from: arkrem870 on August 05, 2021, 01:33:30 PM
YouTube / social media content guys are directly responsible for this current trend.  Outdoors writers sharing information has been around for a 100 years and though it still isn't a good practice it's nothing in comparison to what's transpired the last 3-5 years. Data backs it up

I'd be interested in seeing what data you may have.

El Pavo Grande

:blob10:
Quote from: simpzenith on August 05, 2021, 03:27:02 PM

I'd be interested to hear your response to the question below.  It would be a good opportunity to share your thoughts on it. 

I'm still anxiously awaiting the answer to a frequently posed question.  What are the positives for turkey populations and the future of turkey hunting in sharing specific public land information on social media for unlimited access, whether it be presented via YouTube channels or individuals on FB or forums? Anyone?   If anyone cares to answer, I'd first consider beyond what appears to be positive on the surface might be detrimental in the long run.

Fdept56

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on August 05, 2021, 03:40:12 PM
:blob10:
Quote from: simpzenith on August 05, 2021, 03:27:02 PM

I'd be interested to hear your response to the question below.  It would be a good opportunity to share your thoughts on it. 

I'm sure he'll circle back ;)